Can I delete parts of my Windows folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

aaylett

Hi all,

recently my Windows folder has ballooned to 5.5gb for no apparent reason - I have not changed any programs nor use the computer for anything new. The increas in size is stopping my computer from working properly - I can free no more that 180mb using Diskcleaner. My hard disk i partitioned and I can not extend the partition without completely formatting the drive - I tried to use partition magic.

Please can someone tell me if any of these sub folders can be removed, they appear to be taking up the majority of the space:

\windows\system32 - 1gb
\windows\installer - 1gb
\windows\$hf_mig$ - 630mb
\windows\SoftwareDistribution - 590mb
\windows\ServicePackFiles - 510mb
\windows\$NTServicePackUninstall$ - 344mb
\windows\ie7updates - 130mb
\windows\Driver Cache - 112mb
\windows\RegisteredPackages - 75mb
\windows\inf - 66mb

Or, does anybody know of any other ways to free up some space?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Alan

None of those directories are safe to delete. Deleting those directories may prevent your computer from booting or working properly.

If you are needing more space, I would recommend either uninstalling or deleting files that you no longer need, or getting a bigger hdd.

There may be programs similar to Disk Cleanup however I cannot check right now (Im at work). Perhaps other members may have additional advice.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Some ways to reclaim hard drive space:

Right-click RECYCLE BIN, then click Properties. Move the slider from 10% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Right-click MY COMPUTER, then click Properties - System Restore(tab). Move the slider from 12% to 3%, then click Apply - OK.

Open the C:\Windows\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Open the C:\Documents And Settings\(Username)\Local Settings\Temp folder, then delete everything from inside that Temp folder.

Empty the Recycle Bin, then restart the computer.

-------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online