1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i do an upgrade install from Win8.1 to Win8.1 Pro?, beggin members help thanks

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by liviococcia, Jan 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. liviococcia

liviococcia Thread Starter

Hello Guru Members

I work for a small charity organisation for the elderly, (not trying to pluck heart strings), and the situation is that we were granted 7 new computers, these computers have Windows 8.1, and because we have an existing domain network we actually need to have Windows 8.1 Professional installed.

So prior to knowing that Windows 8.1 could not connect to our network, I had already started getting all the Windows updates, and cleaning the PC's of all the Lenovo add-on's software.

Once I realised that it was not Windows 8.1 Pro on the PC's but only Windows 8.1, being a charity we were able to purchase from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Centre 7 Windows 8.1 Professional licences.

I tried to use the VLC licence through the 'Windows Add-on's feature in Windows 8.1 , but a Volume Licence key is not accepted, and i have also been told that I must download the Windows 8.1 Professional .ISO from the Volume Licensing Centre, and install this particular download version.

But my question is, when I do the installation from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 pro, will it give me the option to do an upgrade installation, I worried as I don't want to lose all the previous windows updates, and Lenovo hardware driver files.

Or, is there a way to get the Volume Licence Key into the existing Windows 8.1 to unlock the Pro features, or even a clever way to trick the Windows installation.

Any members help would be really helpful.

kind regards
    Livio

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Maybe. If nobody here happens to know for sure you'll have to ask the volume license support or just try one installation.

Was Windows 8 or 8.1 preinstalled on these PCs? If so, it means the Windows Product Key is embedded in a motherboard chip. I installed Windows 8 Pro on my Lenovo (which had Windows 8 preinstalled) and found it to be a waste of time. During the installation the embedded Product Key was used and I ended up with just Windows 8. Had to use Anytime Upgrade anyhow (my new Product Key was accepted). So if the Volume version .iso does not do the desired upgrade not only will you lose the installed Windows updates and drivers (no big deal, right?) but you won't even be able to upgrade to Pro. Another reason to contact Microsoft support to see if you are going to be OK with the new .iso.

3. liviococcia

Hello TerryNet

The Lenovo's came with 8.1 preinstalled, it's such a mess, and Microsoft volume licencing centre are either unhelpful, or don't offer a solution, I don't really know what the answer is now.

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

I don't know if the following suggestion will resolve your upgrade problem, but this is the advice given by Andre Da Costa to a similar situation. The difference is that in the situation addressed by Andre, the User had a W8.1 Pro Disk with a License Key for that Upgrade Disk, whereas in your case you have Volume License. What difference that makes I am not sure - so TerryNet's advice to contact MS Support is probably the best advice. Then again, if you cannot make any progress with MS Volume Licensing Support, it may be worth trying another solution using only one of the new PC's as a "Test" unit.

T.

Quoted from Andre Da Costa's reply to a similar question

5. Tabvla

Tabvla

The other option that you may have, is to ask the question: -

Do we really need a Domain? What benefits does a Domain provide?

I appreciate that you have said that you have an existing Domain network. But you have also said that you work for a "small charity". So how many computers are there in your Network? If these 7 PC's are going to replace all existing PC's and your Network will never exceed 20 PC's then you may consider that a Domain does not provide you with enough benefits to warrant the administrative overhead.

W8.1 default settings out-the-box includes both a Workgroup and a Homegroup. If you review your Network you may find that the Workgroup > Homegroup networking features are all that you need for a small LAN.

Hard Disk manufacturers such as Seagate and Western Digital manufacture some very "smart" NAS options. One of these options combined with a simple Workgroup > Homegroup network may provide you with a secure, easy-to-manage option that provides all the functionality that you need.

The links below provide some additional reading which may help you.

T.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/products-and-technologies/windows-8-1/compare/default.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-AU/windows/homegroup-help#homegroup-start-to-finish=windows-81&v1h=win81tab1&v2h=win7tab1

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/join-or-create-a-workgroup

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/personalcloud/consumer/

6. liviococcia

Thanks Tabvla, and thanks to all the members who have help me.

Tabvla, your absolutely correct in what you say, and that's exactly how the charity should have run there IT data system, email and file management.

The trouble is, past 'Director's of the organisation allowed and/or instigated having a Domain network setup, so these hardware cost were spent over the course of years previous on recommendations, and advice from the then outside IT support contractors.

Going back to my current issues, I finally decided that I would just try the most simplest thing first, so I downloaded a copy of Windows 8.1 Pro ISO from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Centre (made a note of the Licence Key), burned the ISO to a DVD, and started the Installation from the desktop.

The install began and it actually said this is a Windows 8.1 Pro , and there where only two options 'keep personal file', or 'keep nothing', I chose to keep nothing.

After the installation I check to see if the 8.1 Pro had actually gone in, and it had, I tried the 'Activate online' button first and was unsuccessful, so I then put in 'Activate with Licence Key' and was successful, Windows 8.1 Pro was now fully activated.

What I did notice was, doing all those Windows Updates previously under the Lenovo OEM version of Windows 8.1 was not a waste of time, as the install hadn't discarded them during the Windows 8.1 Pro installation, which was great.

But the one thing I have learnt from all of this, is that Microsoft were not helpful at all, and when I say this, I mean the so called tech support people at the end of the phone, email or through any online chat sessions, to me they came across quite unknowledgeable, or unhelpful offering no solutions at all.

How Microsoft have changed so, I hope Windows 10 pulls there support back into some cohesion of use, for me, I did not experience this.

Thanks for these forums, or we'd be lost.

kind regards everybody

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1140849

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice