1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can I download/export emails from GMail?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by metallica5456, Mar 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. metallica5456

metallica5456 Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hey guys so I'm at 93%? Of my gmail total free storage and most of the emails are just records of like orders and stuff....is there a way I can save them and then delete em all?

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    You can use a client like Outlook or Thunderbird to download them then you can archive them. I assume you are using a Windows machine?

3. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Hiya James...yea windows 10 on a Dell. I have MS Office Pro Plus 2013 which I'm sure u know has outlook. How do I do this?

4. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you're at 95% capacity in Gmail, you have a lot more than orders. Gmail offers many GB of storage. Are you sure you're using 95% of it? If you download it with an e-mail client you'll have to back it up if you want to keep it.

5. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    @Tony Orders? Yes I'm certain its correct in saying 95%. I understand that...if I wanted to use outlook to download a copy of the ENTIRE mail box is that possible if so how?

6. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

7. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    I already have outlook 2013 on and configured to access my gmail....what would I do at this point to save them? and are the emails in outlook an actual COPY , as in if I delete threm from gmail I could still access from outlook?

8. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You set up a POP connection? Not IMAP? What did you select to do with the messages once they're downloaded? Keep them on the server? Or delete them? If you're out of space on Gmail, you can't keep a copy on the server. You have to delete the copy on the server.

If you use Outlook, it's probably in a PST file. That's what you have to backup. And you can only view it in Outlook. No other program.

9. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    yes I think so...I used POP I believe. ns though how could I check?

yes I have like 500 some emails I would guess in outlook.

I am familiar with PST fil as I have one already I made like a month ago.

so youre saying I have a PHYSICAL copy, not just a link to, of the gmail emails on my computer stored in the outlook program?

10. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

You'd know you setup POP because you would have selected it.

500 e-mails are nothing. Not 95% of Gmail capacity.

I don't know what a "physical" copy is. You either use POP to download or IMAP to mirror. Only you know what you selected for POP/IMAP and what to do on the server.

11. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    ahh ok that's what I'm asking. ok if I used POP originally, that would mean Outlook downloads a COPY of the emails from Gmails server correct? so if I were to delete an email from outlook I could still access it from gmail, right??

I don't mind erasing the entire gmail online mailbox as long as I have a current save of everything.

According to gmail when I use select all I have 874 emails in the primary box..other 2 are empty.

12. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    TONY, I have double checked and I INDEED used IMAP...so sry for the confusion, Sir.

It says "IMAP/SMTP" so receive/send, right?

should I make a PST backup file and then delete whole inbox and make an account using pop3?

13. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    TONY, I have just learned something else...oh man am I sorry :(

I have a one drive as well....its actually using 14GB of my space...I completely forgot about that, buddy. I guess I didn't realize that they were linked. hahah I'm sry ill be closing the thread because of my stupidity. :)

14. TonyB25

TonyB25 Banned

If you setup IMAP, then whatever you delete on your computer through Outlook or Gmail using a browser will delete in both places. You probably need to disable everything, make sure your messages are on Gmail's servers, and then start over with POP.

874 e-mails do not consume 95% of your capacity. I think you're reading something wrong or don't understand what you actually have on your account.

metallica5456 likes this.
  15. metallica5456

First Name:
    Andrew
    Ok Tony....im back...I don't see anything else in my google drive account....yet its showing 15GB total google space with 14GB on Drive and 681MB on gmail...wth?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1168194

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice