1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I expect this with a "Point and Shoot"...???

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by Melissa_2011, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Melissa_2011

Melissa_2011 Thread Starter

Hi... here is a link to some photos that I enjoy looking at from time to time.

http://tinyurl.com/zsdac

Now.... I still haven't taken the plunge and spent my $100 I have allocated for a digtal point and shoot camera and I was wondering if a decent P&S digital would enable me to shoot images of a similar quality as MOST of these pictures?

It has been suggested to me that if you don't plan on printing your photos and merely want to use them for web and email purposes then a camera about a hundred bucks with a modest zoom and megapixel profile would be enough for the task.

Do you guys agree with that? Can you tell (I sure can't) how good some of the cameras were used to shoot these pics? Again, I won't be doing any printing and will only be using them for web and email uses.

Thanks in advance

Melissa

2. Knotbored

Knotbored

I loked at a couple of those pictures- 600 X 800 pix
    That definition is well within the ability of a cheap camera-perhaps less then your budget
    but
    Those were chosen for their content and are great subject matter and choices of lighting. The animal pix were likely shot with magnifying lenses from a distance from a tripod. Probably that same camera took several pictures far less suitable and the cameraman chose only the one best to submit.
    Can a cheap camera take a good closeup picture of a buterfly or a mountain? sure
    Can a cheap camera take a great picture of a squirel scampering up a tree 50 feet away? not likely
    By the way-I had the most fun and took the most pictures with my first digital camera-I believe it was 3.2 megapix (way tinier then cheap cameras now available) and still find those entertaining to look at. It was perfect for snapshots and for viewing on a PC.

3. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    I think a good zoom lens is more important than many pixels.
    The advantage of more pixels than you need .. Is the ability to Crop down to a small Area.. (zoom in) ..
    and still have enough pixels left over for a good picture.

I'd agree .. But a hundred bucks might be a little low

4. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Given the shutter lag of P&S cameras, no, you probably won't be able to take those animal photos. The landscape images, maybe. Those were likely taken with care to manual f-stop and shutter settings, on a tripod, which a P&S doesn't do. You get "modes" with a P&S, and that's not really going to help much.

Put it like this...
    P&S cameras take "pictures"
    SLR cameras take "photographs"

Use the right tool for the right task.

For $115, this is the P&S camera I'd get: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00328HR58
    It can't do everything that an SLR will, but it can still give you some nice images.
    Sony easily makes the best quality P&S cameras in the sub-$200 range.

I shoot some of the kinds of photos you're wanting to take.
    This is the Nikon body I use: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002SQKVD0
    And with about a dozen lenses.

5. Peano

Peano Banned

Or perhaps like this ...

Tourists take "pictures"
    Photographers take "photographs"

Don't forget what Rembrandt could do with a pencil or a piece of chalk.

6. wowzer

wowzer

Probably pretty crappy.. but they can provide fun memories.

Not being familair with newer point and shoot cameras, I think $100 camera is apt to be pretty dissapointing.

just my opinion

7. Stoner

Stoner Banned

There is 'excellent', there is 'good' and there is 'good enough'.

I use several inexpensive point and shoot cameras, one which did cost ~$100. It is small and easy to carry where ever I go. Nice when motorcycling.
    Sure, I toss away more than half of what I shoot with it.....so I shoot a lot ( :D )
    Since I don't take pictures for a living, I've kept this camera ( Fuji FinePix A700 ) because it's handy to carry and it's 'good enough' for me.

I suspect many photography buffs here wouldn't bother with it. My standards aren't as high ...not a criticism...just reality. :)

8. Noyb

Noyb Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Jay
    Speaking of "Fun" ...
    It takes some Software to have fun with pictures .. The Camera doesn't really matter here.
    Gma almost lost her Baby siting privileges .. When the daughter saw the second Picture :D

Attached Files:

9. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Yes and no. The tools still matter. Give me a good SLR, I can take great images. Give me a P&S, and I might as well have a broken arm and one blind eye. It's inadequate and isn't the proper tool for the job. Like using a hammer to drive in a screw. Yeah, it works, but it sucks.

On the other hand, a fancy SLR doesn't make you a photographer. It goes both ways.

10. daniel_b2380

daniel_b2380

no need to be guessing about what cameras were used, most of them are listed below the picture

Sangre De Chri...8
    Camera Type: A950

Winter landsca...4
    Camera Type: Sony DSC-H2

Lacey contrast9
    Camera Type: Panasonic FZ5

Unicoi Range3
    Camera Type: NIKON D70

Snowy Sunday3
    Camera Type: Canon EOS 40D

Secret Life of...10
    [none listed]

South Haven L...12
    Camera Type: Canon EOS DIGITAL REBEL XS

Little Visitor...
    Camera Type: Nikon D90

Driving Squirr...
    Camera Type: Canon 350D

Colors of Paci...2
    Camera Type: DMC-ZS3

just put the "camera type: xxx" into google, voila, almost instant results of what they used and the price they paid, and read the reviews to see what was liked / disliked about it ;)

both of the above some very good advice!! :)

in that you are here asking about cameras, maybe a better idea than buying a NEW camera would be to buy USED, something from craigslist, or where-ever, something say like $15 - $25, [it's kind of like anything else a person buys, the bottom drops out after the purchase], so you could maybe get something nicer than you're expecting

or even see if a friend or relative will let you borrow theirs to play with, [maybe NOT their really nice one], take a few pictures, post a couple to the website, then do a critique, [be honest with yourself], how do you think they compare? WHY? take a few more pictures, post them, how do they compare?

photography is like any other hobby, some people seem to be 'naturals' at something, others sometimes just never seem to 'get it' - no matter how hard they work at it :eek:

another part of that is also complexity - how much fun is it to have something and not be able to use it? :eek: :mad:
    try this, download the manual for one of those hi $$$ cameras, can you understand it? - or is it that they already expect you to have a knowledge of the terminology they're using to explain what may seem to be a very simple function just a little beyond normal conversational english? - like i said, not much fun, especially if you have to put the thing on "auto" just to take a picture!!! (n)
    if you get something "cheap" and can READ the manual, you can LEARN to use it, do the same thing, download a manual, ahaa! :D, see, they don't expect you to know ALL the fancy terminology!!! ;)

attend a workshop at one of the larger local camera shops, some of them are very informative, sometimes you even get to use one of their cameras

or even take a course at your local community college, you'll 'build-up' your 'jargon library' - so some of the terminology won't be so foreign sounding, even learn many of the things that take a picture from being just 'okay' to WOW!!!

example: learn to SEE what the camera sees - discarded micky d trash and beer cans can ruin a great shot - yet at first look, most of our EYES won't see what the camera LENS will :(

i think my wife and i have some rather nice cameras, but for all the time i played with the older film type, she was never interested, then a number of years ago i bought her two intel 630 web-cams for Christmas, [so she and her brother could "see & speak" on the net], it unplugged and you could take 'pitchers' with it, now, well, she has a pretty fancy fuji, and has never looked back, loves what she does! :) :)

the main thing to remember is for YOU to figure out where YOU want to go and how much to spend! - NOT where I'VE told you to go! :cool:

and remember. this is just MY opinion!!! (y)

11. Peano

Peano Banned

That's a comment on your abilities. From it you draw a conclusion about the camera:

In logic that's called a non sequitur.

12. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

When I press the shutter button, I expect an image to be taken. On a point and shoot, that doesn't happen. There's a delay. Well, I'm sorry, but the world doesn't wait around for your cheap crap camera. You miss the shot. Hence my statement that I'd be photographically handicapped. I don't use a Nikon D3s because I like to blow money -- I use it because it's the tool that doesn't hold me back.

I suggest you re-read the definition of non sequitor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non_sequitur
    I take it you've never beaten a screw with a hammer? I have. It works, but it's really half-assed.
    As is a point-and-shoot camera trying to do the job of a real camera.

I agree with the used camera idea from daniel_b2380.

13. Peano

Peano Banned

It isn't all about you. Not everyone has your talents; by the very same token, not everyone has your limitations. That is the root of your non sequitur. You assume that if you can't get good results with a P&S in some circumstances, it must be the fault of the camera.

I can't take a pencil and produce a great portrait or even a good portrait. Should I conclude that the pencil isn't up to the job? Isn't the right tool? No. Remember Rembrandt...... ;)

14. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I love my cheap crap camera :D

15. lordsmurf

lordsmurf

Shutter lag is the fault of the camera.
    And therefore it WILL afflict every user. Everybody will have this limitation.
    In fact, it's a common complaint.

I have a cheap crap camera, too.
    It takes great pikshures: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0011E4N5C
    Fat chance on it taking some of the photos in that gallery, however.

..... but back to the original question.
    Can you expect this? No, you cannot.
    I don't see the point in lying or otherwise giving false hope. Not ethical.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971348

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice