Can I Game?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computerwiz5

I have played Halo, Sims, and Age of Mythology on my computer. You all think I can play HL 2, CS, Doom 3, Etc. Here are my specs:

AMD 1.4 Duron/Athlon :(
384 MB 2700 DDR RAM
Windows 2000 SP4
AIW ATI 9600 XT

I found this info on other sites:

Doom 3:
The minimum system requirements for Doom 3:
- 1.5 GHz processor (Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon)
- 384 MB (megabytes) of memory (RAM)
- 64 MB video card (by ATI or nVIDIA)
- 2 GB (gigabytes) of empty hard drive space

The recommended system requirements from PC Gamer magazine:
- 2.0 GHz (or better) P4 or Athlon processor
- 512 MB of RAM
- ATI Radeon 9800 video card
- 5-channel sound card and speakers

The following video cards are supported by Doom 3:
- nVIDIA Geforce 4 MX (the bare minimum)
- nVIDIA Geforce 3
- nVIDIA Geforce 4
- nVIDIA Geforce FX (and higher)
- ATI Radeon 8500s, 9000s and higher

Half Life 2:
Developer Valve has announced details of the minimum and recommended specifications for the forthcoming Half-Life 2, which is believed to be on track to be completed this summer.

According to studio boss Gabe Newell, the basic spec will call for a 1.2Ghz processor, 256Mb of RAM and a DirectX 7 capable graphics card, while the company is recommending a 2.4Ghz processor, 512Mb of RAM and a DirectX 9 card for those who want to see the game in all its glory.

The specifications are somewhat higher than those which the company suggested last year - when base specifications like a 700Mhz processor and a TNT2 graphics card were being thrown around - but should still be well within the range of most current PC owners.

It really depends on whether your processor is a Duron or Athlon....you said Duron/Athlon, which is impossible, it's one or the other. If it's a Duron, then I would say no, just upgrade the CPU, if it's an Athlon, it may play, but it will probably seem a bit slow, in which case, you can just upgrade the CPU. Socket A CPU's are cheap now, you can probably get an 1800+ or so for $50 or less, and then overclock it if your motherboard can.

computerwiz5

well i think its a duron, im looking at a amd 2500 barton, which i can overclock, what should i over clock it to if right now im getttign temp or 40-45 on full load. 39 idle. I got 1 case fan, i pretty good psu with 2 fans. CPU fan and chipset fan. What is the safty xone if i overclock, i have a GA-7VAXP. i heard it was really good with over clocking.

Thanks,

Danny

Max rated temp on Athlons is approximately 70c.

That said, if its over 40 I figure its too hot. I would put a better heatsink and add a few fans before I started playing with overclocking.

Yea, you should be able to overclock pretty well....only thing is, your motherboard is on a VIA chipset, and I don't think it has a FSB lock on it, so if you overclock your CPU to a certain mhz, the PCI bridge overclocks as well, it can cause problems. As long as you stay with the basic ones, you should be fine, like 133 and 166. If you're getting 40-45 under full load with a 1.4 Duron, then definitely get a new heatsink...or just use the one that comes with the new CPU, but I wouldn't overclock when using the stock heatsink.

Also, new Bartons are multiplier locked, so you're limited to FSB overclocking....unfortunately, I've just been looking around, and it appears the highest people can get with your board is about 180mhz stable, but that also raises the PCI bridge, so your hard drives and PCI cards may have stability problems....I don't think it'll be worth trying to overclock it, if you got an older CPU, something based on the Thoroughbred core, you could raise the multiplier a lot, and get a lot more out of it, but a locked Barton can only get you so far....

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online