1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I get a good copy of a copy

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by mtzlplex, Aug 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed Thread Starter

Good day to everyone. I have a cd I burned with several songs, and am trying to make a copy of it, without much success. The copies I made were run at 4x using Nero 5.5.10.4. The copies(4 I tried), all have problems, skips, slowdowns in music, and other glitches. I know how finiky burned cd can be, so I don`t even know if it is possible to make a quality copy of a copy. I even tried changing the original burned cd into mp3s onto my harddrive, and then burning it using Nero, no diff. Thanks for any hints/tips anyone might have.

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Do the MP3s that you created on disk, skip, etc when you play them?

3. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

Why don't you start by getting the most current version of Nero 5. Have you changed media? Do not copy on the fly. Try saving as an image to your HD then burn that. A copy should be easily copied.

Or try another app. Here's a free on that works well.

http://www.burnatonce.com/

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You should be able to make copies of copies of copies... until hell freezes over. The information is digital. One issue with audio CD's is if you burn them over around 8x, sometimes they'll have problems playing on older CD players.

5. mtzlplex

Sorry for the delay in responding, technical difficulties on this end. Was finally able to get good quality in wav copying a copy, had to make some changes in settings. As far as my problem with converting to mp3 and getting good quality it still exists. I dled a program called audiograbber, but it only functions at 56K/bits, which from what I have heard is low for quality. I guess I am on a mission to find a freeware that is of higher quality, that you don`t have to be a rocket scientist to use. Thanks to all who responded, and once again, sorry for the delay.

6. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

What does that mean?

For ripping/converting (and free) get CDex. Use the built in Lame encoder. My fav setting is -alt-preset standard, makes for very nice mp3's.

http://www.cdex.n3.net/

7. mtzlplex

I downloaded cdex, download went aok, executed program, double clicked cdex icon, got blue screen of death with following. A fatal exception oe has occured in VXD APIX (03) + 00000E-39. Tried 4, or 5 times, same exception. I am running 98se, which should be compatable according to specs. Doesn`t look like I am going to be able to use. Thanks for the link anyway.

8. JohnWill

I've used CDEX, as well as RazorLame, both use the excellent LAME encoder. FWIW, AudioGrabber can be configured to use LAME too, since you already have it, and it runs. I bought Audiograbber years ago, in the days when MP3 encoders were still in a rapid state of rapid change, but I haven't used it in some time. I did have it using LAME as I recall...

9. mtzlplex

Hey johnwill, thanks for sticking in there with me. Have deceided to try to make audiograbber function for me at a higher bitlevel. As per audiograbbers instructions, I downloaded Lame mp3 dll, and is in zip form. Unsure what location I need to unzip this to. Would it be C\Windows\System ? Also, will audiograbber automatically recognize, and start using Lame without any prompts? Thanks for any help you can give much appreciated. As you can probably tell, I`m new to this.

10. MysticEyes

MysticEyes Banned

11. JohnWill

You put the LAME stuff in the folder with AudoGrabber as I recall, it'll look for them there. There's an external MP3 decoder setup page that you configure to allow external MP3 decoders to be used.

I'm doing all this from old memory, since I haven't had AudioGrabber installed for quite a while. :)

I see MysticEyes has a possible solution to CDEX, so that might be the path of least resistance, just replace the DLL.

12. mtzlplex

Thanks johnwill, that did the trick, I am just getting ready to try it out, and see if it fits the bill. I will keep cdex, and MysticEyes dll replacement ideas just in case. I appreciate your taking time to help, in fact I still have some hair left (lol).

13. JohnWill

Glad to see you're up and running. :) Note that you can set the quality of the MP3's to anything up to 320kbps, I typically grab at 256kbps.

14. mtzlplex

Thanks johnwill, made a world of difference putting LAME on there, like day, and night. I appreciate the setting reference also. I will try it.

15. mtzlplex

Hey MysticEyes, thanks for the advice. I finally managed to get Audiograbber hooked up with LAME, and got the results I wanted. Just thought I would let you know I appreciate your time, and the help you provided. Oh, and I have kept cdex on my computer, and have the link you provided for the dll change just in case I need to apply it if something happens to audiograbber. Have a good one.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/260456

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice