1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I get a virus from plugging my ethernet into another person's router

Discussion in 'General Security' started by Kapustin Yar, Dec 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Kapustin Yar

Kapustin Yar Thread Starter

My friend says I've given him a virus. His wifi wouldn't work so we plugged his ethernet cable into my router to get online. He got a virus and says its my fault. I say if there is a virus he got it from the internet and not me.

Who's right?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You are.

---------------------------------------------------------------

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If we are talking about strict definitions, then viruses don't leap across PCs. However, there are WORMS, which do spread from PC to PC, like the old "Code Red".

4. Kapustin Yar

I know I can get a virus from another pc but I wasn't aware I could get one from an Ethernet cable. Are you sure about this?

5. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Yes, there are worms that can spread from computer to computer on a network. I got infected by one several years ago and noticed when I would clean a computer and then another one, the worm was right back on the first one. It had me going for a while until I disconnected all computers from the network and cleaned them all before reconnecting them. In my case it was a worm that looks for computers with the administrator password blank.

6. Kapustin Yar

Well the two computers weren't networked, per se That is, you can't see the contents of one pc on the other pc. I was not aware you could get a virus from JUST an Ethernet cable. That's a new one for me, thanks.

7. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

While there is malware that can spread over a network, it really isn't that common. Still, you couldn't spread the malware without file sharing enabled. The Internet is indeed a much more likely source for any infection. Personally, I believe that malware authors don't even have to spend any effort making their warez sneaky and stealthy; it's more cost effective to write simple programs and shotgun them all over the Internet.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice