1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I get files off of crashed system?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mystik78, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

So, I did a stupid thing, deleted some files, and crashed my computer. I tried a safe reinstall of windows (which was not supposed to write over anything) but even after that I can get windows to install/run properly. It's windows XP. My question is, is there a way the I can hook up the broken system to another computer and simply copy the files off of it? I know the exact directories of the files I want to get. Or is this something I'd be better off taking it to the local best buy for? Or just call it a day and re-format?
    Not really sure what other info to supply you with, haven't opened either system to see if there is an empty slot to hook up to.
    Heather

2. Regicide

Regicide

What youe can try is install the "broken" hard drive as a slave on a different working computer. If Your hard drive isn't corrupted, you can get the files off no problem.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You should be able to recover your files by any of the methods you mentioned. For a price ($100-$200) you can boot the damaged PC from a floppy and access the drives remotely through a network card. It really depends how much you yourself can do and how much the data is worth to you.

By far the easiest and cheapest if you are up to it is to follow Regicide's good advice and temporarily install the drive as a slave in another machine. There will be security problems with regard to permissions, so if you have XP Pro you will need to take ownership of the files and folders in order to access them. But this is a simple procedure.

So, do you have Home or Pro, and can you put the drive from which you want to recover files in another machine? What devices are available to you to transfer the files to if you leave it in the original machine (for example, do you have an external USB hard drive or something along those lines to move the files to once you can access them)?

And maybe we don't need to abandon the other approach of trying to get the present system running well enough to recover your data. How did you do the re-installation and what problems did you have? Repairing your present installation so that it runs well enough for recovery before we zap it and reinstall would make things a lot easier.

4. NotAPear

NotAPear

Try using a linux boot cd. The entire OS on one bootable cd, and you can mount/read NTFS as well as mount/read/write Fat16/32 volumes.

Not recommended for the faint of heart.

If you've got a few partitions, or hard drives, you can copy all your data from the bad to the good, then reformat the bad and reinstall with all your data still saved on your other drive/partition

5. Regicide

Regicide

You can do this. Goto Knoppix.net and download the latest version, which I think is v3.4. NOTE: You will need a CD burner to do this.
    P.S. You can also mount NTFS filesystems in Linux.

6. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

7. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

Elvandil: Don't think it's recoverable, I've already tried partial reinstall, it gets halfway through the process and freezes. I've also tried upgrading to XP Pro (have home now) and that doesn't make it through either. I should have an empty slot on this system, it is XP pro, but the ownership is easy, like you said. I'm gonna try the Linux first, less work involved.
    Thanks ya'll,
    Heather

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

Knoppix will mount the NTFS volumes, but you still need somewhere to send the recovered items.

Let us know how you finally resolve this. Good luck.

9. dai

dai

10. missmouse

missmouse Banned

this thread intrests me cos i still have my old pc ('98)that has loads of valuble files in the HD but i now have a new pc with XP loaded. would it be possible for me to plug in my old HD & save some of the files/programs to my new machine?

11. Elvandil

Elvandil

That is very easy to do; pretty much all there is to it is what you said. Just connect the old drive to any unused IDE connection on your machine (Be sure to set the jumper to Master or Slave, depending where you connect it) and boot up XP. Your drive should be there and you can copy away.

12. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

ok, got all of my files off. i just went ahead and hooked the old hard drive up as a slave to my sister's computer, and copied onto my externals. now i've got the problem of re-installing everything, which doesn't seem to be working. for some reason, now I can't get the cd-rom drive to run. it won't even open. and there is a power cord going to it, i've even tried a few different ones. don't know if it's cause I put a new hard drive in or not. cdrom is set to boot first in bios, but b/c it's not, i don't know how to reinstall windows. any ideas? i may just give it up and take it on down to the Best Buy, before I really break something.
    Either way, at least I got the files.
    Heather

13. Elvandil

Elvandil

That sounds like a problem with the CD-ROM since no software is loaded yet. Can you try another?

14. mystik78

mystik78 Thread Starter

No, I don't, not without taking another computer apart. And I don't want to risk ruining that one. I was thinking it could be a broken drive, but I'm hoping not. It was working fine before all this happened, so I'm not sure how it could have gotten broken.
    Heather

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!