1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i get internet connection on 2 computers with 1 verizon USB modem?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by atharaldson, Oct 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. atharaldson

atharaldson Thread Starter

hello there. I dont know anything about computers, so i dont know if this is even possible. thought i'd try though! OK, so I have a desktop running windows XP and a laptop running windows vista home premium. I have a Linksys WRT54G v8 wireless G router. Used to have comcast,but no longer do. Bought a verizon UM175 usb modem. I would like to know if it is possible to get both my desktop and laptop connected to the internet on the one verizon USB modem. I really dont want to buy another one and pay another $60 a month! Can someone please help me out?:confused:

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    the router allows you to share internet with a number of computers

ISP - internet service provider
    telephone line/cable
    Modem
    router
    PC, laptops etc

The linksys needs an ethernet connetion - I know you can get Ethernet to USB adapters - but i'm not sure if you can use them between a Modem and Router

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand "buy another one and pay another $60 a month."

Best solution is a modem with ethernet connection and use your router. Otherwise, you can connect the computers directly or through the router and enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the connection with internet access.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

And no, you can't use a USB <-> Ethernet adapter to connect the modem. :)

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks Johnwill,

6. avisitor

avisitor

Something like the KR2/KR1 would work for that. Just check modem compatibility.

There are also a whole bunch of routers made by CradlePoint that do that

7. Jason08

Jason08

Are you saying you can't connect the USB line and the adapter to the modem? I'm a little confused, because I know you can connect an Ethernet line and a USB line to a modem at the same time.

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    JohnWill was saying that you cannot add an ethernet port to a USB modem by using a USB ethernet adapter (example).

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/757910

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice