can i get internet connection on 2 computers with 1 verizon USB modem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

atharaldson

hello there. I dont know anything about computers, so i dont know if this is even possible. thought i'd try though! OK, so I have a desktop running windows XP and a laptop running windows vista home premium. I have a Linksys WRT54G v8 wireless G router. Used to have comcast,but no longer do. Bought a verizon UM175 usb modem. I would like to know if it is possible to get both my desktop and laptop connected to the internet on the one verizon USB modem. I really dont want to buy another one and pay another $60 a month! Can someone please help me out?:confused:

etaf

Wayne
the router allows you to share internet with a number of computers

ISP - internet service provider
telephone line/cable
Modem
router
PC, laptops etc

The linksys needs an ethernet connetion - I know you can get Ethernet to USB adapters - but i'm not sure if you can use them between a Modem and Router

TerryNet

Terry
I don't understand "buy another one and pay another $60 a month."

Best solution is a modem with ethernet connection and use your router. Otherwise, you can connect the computers directly or through the router and enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the connection with internet access.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
And no, you can't use a USB <-> Ethernet adapter to connect the modem. :)

Something like the KR2/KR1 would work for that. Just check modem compatibility.

There are also a whole bunch of routers made by CradlePoint that do that

And no, you can't use a USB <-> Ethernet adapter to connect the modem. :)
Are you saying you can't connect the USB line and the adapter to the modem? I'm a little confused, because I know you can connect an Ethernet line and a USB line to a modem at the same time.

TerryNet

Terry
JohnWill was saying that you cannot add an ethernet port to a USB modem by using a USB ethernet adapter (example).

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online