Solved Can I get rid of Dropbox?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.
Okay, I believe that DropBox did was to change the "location" where Windows goes to find these files. You can easily put the folders back to what they should have been before DropBox was installed.

Open Windows Explorer, and in This PC right-click on one of the folders that is wrong. For example, right-click Downloads and go to Properties. You should see a tab labeled Location. Click Location and you will see the current path, and you should see a button Move. Click Move and select the proper folder. It is most likely C:\Users\<your iD>\Downloads. Then click on Select Folder and Ok. Windows should prompt you if you want to move the files to the new location. I would recommend Yes. That should do it for each of the folders that need to be moved.

aliisa

I think you have the nub of the problem. The only folder I haven't been able to move from Dropbox is Downloads.

The problem here is that Downloads in My PC is not a folder but a shortcut to Downloads in Dropbox. I tried creating a folder called Downloads in My PC but it wouldn't let me as I was duplicating the name of the existing folder/shortcut. I tried deleting this shortcut before (I think). It messed up Desktop and Windows simply reinstalled the link on reboot.

aliisa

I have a limited knowledge of how Windows works but what seems to be happening here is that logically, when Windows realises a system folder has gone AWOL, it reads an instruction somewhere that tells it what to create and where to locate it. And that's where the problem is. In essence, Dropbox seems to have hijacked that instruction.

It is possible in Windows to create folder names that are actually junctions. And it is possible DropBox made a junction for Downloads and that is the thing you are hitting. The simplest way to get around this is to create a new folder for downloads but name something different. Something like NewDownloads or Downloads2, etc. Create this folder under your personal folder in Users. Then use the steps above to change the Downloads in My PC to a new location and use the new name. Once you have the Downloads on My PC working properly with your newly created folder, you can safely remove the older Downloads, which could really be a junction.

I hate to get a technical on people when all they want is to get the problem sorted so they can move on with their things to do. But a junction is a way to create an item that looks and acts like a folder, but it really redirects to some other folder. In cases of multiple hard drives, a junction can actually be on a different disk. I think DropBox used a junction to put Downloads where it wanted them to be.

aliisa

OK. That has partly worked. I couldn't create a new folder in MY-PC, so I created "Downloads stuff" in Boot. For some reason it appeared in Desktop, so I moved it to My-PC. I then redirected Downloads from Dropbox to the new folder as you said, then deleted Dropbox and rebooted.

So now I have a folder under My-PC called Downloads with the blue down arrow icon. Oddly, the location for this is C:\Users\aliiisa\Downloads stuff. I expected this to be C:\Users\aliiisa\Downloads. I also have a plain folder in Boot called Downloads which has no location. Dropbox has reappeared, with no Downloads but I still have My-PC with the subfolder Desktop. I presume I need to do something with these folders but as things didn't go exactly as planned for Downloads, I'm a bit wary.

Also, under Users/<my name> I have another Documents folder (with blue arrow) and a shortcut folder called Downloads which has no location, which I presume are just mirrors of what's in MY-PC.

Does all that make sense?

Yes it does make sense. The Downloads stuff ended the way it should, but I think it was the long way. Regardless, you were able to redirect Downloads and they actually go to Downloads stuff, and none of that is under DropBox. That's good and I believe it could be left that way. As for the shortcut in Documents that pointed to Downloads, you can most likely just delete it. It's just a shortcut and in all that was happening, it could have been created by accident.

The folder DropBox reappearing makes me believe something else expects the folder to be there. It could be a redirect from somewhere else in your user folder. But nothing is really going to the DropBox folder and you aren't using DropBox, so at this point I think it can just be ignored.

As for Desktop, that really should be under C:\Users\aliiisa. You can try the same thing you did earlier. Make a Desktop folder under c:\Users\aliiisa. Then move the location of Desktop to be the folder under C:\Users\aliiisa. The important thing is these things are no longer under DropBox and you can ignore the DropBox folder.

aliisa

I moved Desktop and deleted Dropbox, rebooted and Dropbox has not reappeared. Phew and hurrah 😃 ! Using Everything, I see Dropbox has also managed to install itself in Mozilla Profiles, though it's not listed as an extension. I've deleted it from there so hopefully, that's the last I'll see of it.

There should be warnings somewhere that Dropbox is an insidious piece of software and should be avoided unless you really, really, really want it.

Thanks for your patience and your help. All very much appreciated, thank you 👍 💋

I'm glad you got it all resolved and didn't lose anything. I personally dumped DropBox years ago. I also tried Amazon Drive but it was so unstable that I nearly lost data. Sync.com and MS OneDrive are the two that I rely on to keep things synchronized between all my devices. I will also add that I use a company/product called pCloud. It's a cloud based storage but everything appears as a new drive letter, P:.

I'm glad I could help get this sorted.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online