1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I have a 2nd Slave Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ccfilms, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Right now, I'm running a 120GB NTFS drive and a 60GB NTFS for windows usage.

I have an 80GB for Linux.

I'd like to add another 12GB FAT32 drive, that can be used on both Windows and Linux, but I don't want to give up my 60GB NTFS slave for windows usage. I'd like to add the 12GB to my two NTFS drives, and when I boot up Linux from that 80GB I can use the 12GB on there as well as it's secondary.

Is it possible to run two slaves? I was considering putting the second slave on my slave slot of my Secondary Channel (CD-ROM drives)...but when I did this, my primary channel was not found!

Does anyone know how to do this? Run XP with 3 Hard Drives (non-RAID).

Really, it's not an XP issue, more, a motherboard issue....can my motherboard use 3 hdd at one time..... :D

thanks guys.

2. n2gun

n2gun

You should be able to add it as a slave on the second ide channel. The problem you had may have been a reversed data cable. This would cause a problem. If it does not work with the jumper set to slave, try cable select. My motherboard has a problem with using the master slave. It prefers cable selct and this may be happening with yours also.

3. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

I shall try this, but I...ahem...sadly, lost my jumpers on this specific drive. and there's no markings on the drive (the 10GB...it's 7 year old) for where to place the jumpers. guess I'll have to screw around. lol.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    A typical motherboard can run at least 4 drives without additional hardware - some new motherboard can do several more drives but yours can only do 4. It generally doesn't matter what combination of drives you use; hard drives or CD-ROM's. What you do need to make sure is that each drive is jumpered correctly and connected correctly.

Where's this 80GB drive that you mention for Linux? If you already have 3 hard drives and 1 optical drive then you need to buy a seperate PCI IDE Controller for any new drive. Or you can repartition an existing drive into two or more parts if you are not running out of space with somthing like Partition Magic or a Linux utility.

For connecting 4 drives:

First the red strip on the IDE cable MUST face the power connector on the back of the drive and the strip goes to PIN 0 or 1 on the motherboard IDE connection.

Next you must jumper the drives correctly as Master and Slave. On each cable there should be one drive jumpered as Master and the second drive needs to be jumpered as Slave. These jumpers are found on the back of the drive and there's a legend on the back or top of the drive. You should also try to set it up so that the Master is at the end of IDE cable and the Slave on the middle connector. You should check that the jumpers aren't set both for the same setting or its not set for Single. You can also try setting both drives to Cable Select.

Another concern may be compatibilty, some combinations just don't work for no apparent reason; either its the two drive, or the motherboard and the drives.

You can also trying putting the newest drive with the Master on the Primary IDE and the DVD with the old Slave drive.

You also need to enter the BIOS setup and redetect the IDE drives or make sure there are not set to NONE.

5. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Wow, I took too long to post.

The jumpers settings are almost always marked on the drive itself on a label. Or flip it around and look right under the jumper pins for MS, SL, and CS. Those stand for Master, Slave, Cable Select.

6. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Yah, I actually know all about jumpers. What I meant was, the hard drive isn't labeled or nothing for slave, master or cable select. I actually am on my linux drive right now writing this. lol. I didn't even get to read your post.

Anyways, I just played around with some jumper arrangments (there's a chart on another drive of the 12GB brand that displays the slave arrangment, so that helped).

About having the 80GB for linux, basically, what I do is:

When I want to run windows I have my Primary Master on the windows drive. When I want to run linux, I open my case (very easily) and just move the cable over to teh linux drive. This gives me maximum storage space and performance. :D It's like two computers in one! (in all reality, that's exactly what it is). Maybe, in case none of you guys ever thought of doing that, you guys should give it a shot. :D works real nicely, and you don't need a new case....just a new hard drive. lol.

7. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Another thing. I stuck my 12GB on my Secondary Slave, and I tried to format the drive, but it froze up. So i had to stick it backon Primary Slave and format the drive.

The Secondary Slave seems to read the drive just fine, havn't tried writing files to it. It actually just finished formating AS I WRITE THIS. I'll try giving it a burn in test to see if it works on the Secondary Slave. If it don't, I'll come back and reply. If it does, I'll reply anyways.

Does anyone know why I couldn't format the drive on Secondary Slave, but I could on Primary Slave? WEIRD!

8. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Holy smokes! That was THE WORST EXPERIANCE EVER!

Ok, here's the deal. I booted up windows with my 12GB on my Secondary Slave, and MAN OH MAN! It was the most unstable peice of crap EVER!!! It locked up every time i tried to access the drive and I had to push the big ol' nasty button on the front of my PC just to shut it off! And it did it every time i booted. And don't even think about using the DVD-RW drive as well....it's just as unstable!!!

I took the 12GB of the Secondary Channel and put it onto the primary, and stability was back to normal. No lockups at all...

....what could have just caused all that crap to happen? I mean, it was REALLY REALLY unstable. And I'm running a 2 day old clean install of windows, so I mean, it was BAD!

9. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

bump.

10. hammerbill

hammerbill

Sometimes you can fix this issue by selecting the opposite of the current selection in cmos: plug n play OS installed. If pnp OS is checked, then the board won't bother trying to assign some of your stuff and windows/linux might be stuck on some old settings and not do it either. Or if it isn't selected, windows/linux might be expecting the MB to do some things it won't.
    It is a good idea to direct the cmos to reset current configuration too. Be sure all IDE channels are set to autodetect. Do a general lookover the settings to see if something looks out of order then exit and reboot.

11. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

The IDE channels read the hard drive just fine. At a glance, it looks like it's al working until i try to actually USE the drive. Then the whole computer freezes.

and to clarify further, it only freezes when the drive is placed on Secondary Slave. It ruins fine when it's on Primary Slave...but I'd prefer that my 60GB NTFS with media files and page file are on the Primary Slave. lol.

Is there anyone on here who has successfully done this setup? 3 hard drives and an optical in this array:

PM: HDD
    PS: HDD
    SM: Optical
    SS: HDD

? Cuz it seems to freeze up my PC.

12. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

13. hammerbill

hammerbill

This is a classic symptom of a bad IDE cable. I've sounded somewhat like a broken record about this lately. But this is exactly what happens-the drive is recognized in cmos (sometimes) but doesn't work or makes errors/freezes/crashes. If you haven't got any spares, try transposing the cables to the other channels and see if anything changes.
    Oh, and those Western Digital hard drives? Those things used to have a reputation for giving people a hard time in configuration. I thought they might have resolved that stuff by now but maby not. Be sure to read your drive documentation well as they may not work exactly like other drives. I can't advise here as I went strictly Maxtor a long time ago and have no experience with other brands any more. Maxtor always works for me.

14. ccfilms

ccfilms Thread Starter

Actually, the western digitals aren't giving me any problems. It's my two Maxtors that ARE. lol

I'll try another cable....but the cables work good for my optical drives. but I'll try that.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/326089

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice