1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I have Outlook notify me via mail to another account when a new mail arrives?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Superstefan, Nov 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Superstefan

Superstefan Thread Starter

I am using multiple mail accounts at work, some of which require me to use access cards at specific work stations.

I wonder if there is a way to have MS Outlook to send me a notification from my mail account B to my primary mail account A whenever my mail account B recieves an email, because I simply have no time running back and forth between workstations checking for emails that may not be there anyway.

Because of security policies, I can not simply forward mails from account B to account A, so what I need is Outlook to email me a notification saying "an email has been recieved" - nothing about the subject and/or content of the recieved email.

This would be pretty much like the notification on for example smartphones saying "one new email", but for obvious reasons I can not access this account with my smartphone, nor would I be allowed to anyway.

Is this possible, and if so, how?

Thanks in advance!

2. Rockn

Rockn

I would say this would be a NO. How would Outlook notify you if there is no endpoint device to send an email to?

3. Superstefan

Superstefan Thread Starter

Does it really have to be an endpoint device then?

Just like you can instruct it to automatically forward an email, I was hoping you perhaps could instruct it to (if I rephrase it) forward the email BUT first remove the subject/content/attachments.
    Or is there any technicality preventing sending a notification to an email rather than a cell?

4. Rockn

Rockn

A cell phone or a smart phone is an endpoint device. If this is a security issue you should probably ask your IT department what if anything you can do as far as alerts.

There is an option in the rules wizard for sending alerts to mobile devices, but they would have to be server side rules or Outlook would have to be running all of the time.

5. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

In addition to what RockN has stated, newer versions of Outlook allow you to create rules that will automatically run visual basic macros (vba) If you choose to go this route you simply need to put some VBA code together to automatically create and send the email and then set up the rule to fire the macro every time an email is received. You can find endless examples of how to automatically send emails using VBA so this shouldn't be difficult. You also have the option of using a built in event in Outlook such as the NewMail or NewMailEX event to accomplish the same using pure VBA without having to use rules at all since I rules can sometimes be unreliable. That should be enough to get you started and if you can't figure it out with a little research of your own let me know and I can provide more direction.

Rollin

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026820

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice