1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I increase my 8GB DDR4 memory by installing a 16GB DDR4?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by joeymax, Dec 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. joeymax

joeymax Thread Starter

Hi,

I would like to increase the memory on my Son's computer, an ASPIRE E 15 (E5-575-51EF) that has a I5-7200U motherboard and a 8 GB DDR 4 RAM memory. The video card is a GeForce 940 MX 2 GB VRAM.

Here are my 2 questions:

1. The computer has two memory slots, can I combine an 8 GB DDR4 memory by inserting a 16 GB DDR4 memory into the second slot?

2. Will this increased memory significantly increase the computers gaming experience playing counterstrike and other online games?

I am not sure if it is worth the $250 investment so a quick reply would be great.

2. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

I can't seem to find the specs for that laptop. But you can use this tool to help. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/systemscanner

As far as speeding up game play, I don't think it will with just a RAM upgrade. It will not "significantly increase the computers gaming experience."

Laptops are just not meant for gaming much at all. And the hardware, which is mostly not able to upgrade will depreciate quite quickly. If you could upgrade your graphics card, that be the way to go. Although, I think this laptop is quite capable for what I think the specs are.

You might want to try decreasing some game settings to get better performance if you are having any bad performance. Like anti aliasing. If the game has shadows, try turning those off. In fact, in a first person shooter you really shouldn't use shadows as the enemy can hide in them. So with shadows disabled, not only do you gain a better user experience, you can see the enemy where ever they are lurking around.

What version of Counterstrike is this?

You said the motherboard is an I5-7200U. But that's the CPU. The program CPUz will help tell you your specs, like motherboard model.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  3. 737Simpilot

737Simpilot Temporarily Banned

I think I found the laptop specs. It looks like it's got a 5400 RPM platter hard drive. If you upgrade to a SSD that would be money well spent as to a good upgrade. You can clone the SSD with the program AOMEI Backupper. Once you clone to the SSD it will be like nothing ever changed.

You will need a USB to SATA adapter to achieve this. You would plug the SATA connector to the SSD drive and the USB connector to the computer. In AOMEI Backupper chose the "Source" as the laptop's current hard drive which would be C and then chose the "destination" as the SSD drive. The whole process may take some time. Once completed, remove the current hard drive from the laptop and replace with the SSD. That's it.

I forgot to add. Make sure you select the option to align partition in AOMEI Backupper.

Make sure you don't already have an SSD already. You can run HDtune to see what drive you have now.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-SATA-Drive-Adapter-Cable/dp/B00HJZJI84/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513776782&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+to+sata&refinements=p_72:2661618011

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    joeymax likes this.
  4. joeymax

joeymax Thread Starter

Hi Thanks for the reply.
    I contacted Acer and they too said that the RAM upgrade is useless since the bottleneck is the graphics card.

I have decided to ad a SSD 256 GB M2. card to boost the speed. You accurately pointed out that the HD at 5400 RPM has also a negative impact on gaming speed.
    I'll be adding the:
    SSD disk Intel 545s M.2 256GB SSD, unfortunately, the computer cannot work with fasted and newer SSD cards.

Thanks for your input!

Joe

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Acer Aspire E5-575 series laptops support a maximum of 32 GB(16 GB X 2) of DDR4 RAM.
    If it currently has a 8 GB module in one slot, you do have the option of adding a 8 GB or 16 GB module in its other slot.
    Some laptops can be finicky about using mismatched brand/capacity/speed modules, so be aware of that.

Intel Core i5-7200U 2.50 GHz dual core processor

cpu.JPG

NVIDIA GeForce GT 940MX graphics

gpu.JPG

These are the performance ratings for the Intel processor and NVIDIA graphics device in that laptop.
    I'm not a hardware expert nor a gamer, so I can't advise you if they will meet the needs for quality gaming.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1201460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice