Solved Can I increase storage size?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

DRGW

Hi

I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 10.

It has a SSD hard drive and was originally set-up by Currys/PC World when I purchased it.

The SSD is now almost full and I have 9.19 GB free of 103GB. Can I increase the memory size on this?

I do also have a Data drive built into my laptop which is only about 1/4 full. It appears that everything is going onto the SSD.

If I can't increase the memory on the SSD, can I move some of the files and folders to the Data drive? How do I best go about doing this?

Many thanks.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
When you install a program on your PC, you can select the custom installation and select where to install the program. I always choose to install on a different drive than my boot drive to conserve space on my SSD.

As far as moving data/folders to the data drive, you certainly can. Programs, no, at least not without reinstalling from scratch.

DRGW

When you install a program on your PC, you can select the custom installation and select where to install the program. I always choose to install on a different drive than my boot drive to conserve space on my SSD.

As far as moving data/folders to the data drive, you certainly can. Programs, no, at least not without reinstalling from scratch.
I've always been told to only use custom installation only if you know what you're doing as any changes could corrupt the program and/or the computer.

I was hoping it would be as simple as dragging and dropping folders to the data drive to move the programs. What would be the best way to select what is moved to the data drive?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
DRGW:

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron laptop?

Are you saying it has a smaller capacity SSD and a larger capacity HDD internal storage drives?

-------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Sometimes using the automatic installation on some programs will add other parasite programs that you were not expecting. It's usually best to use the custom configuration. If you don't understand a setting, leave it at the default. But, you will have the opportunity to install to the location you prefer, and sometimes you can uncheck a box that will allow a browser "helper" to install itself when you install that photo editor you wanted to try out. (That's just a made-up example, it happens in many programs.)

As I said, data (documents, videos, music, pictures, etc.) can be moved to wherever you you wish. Programs, however, will need to be uninstalled. You can also change the location of your Download folder in your browser.

DRGW

DRGW:

What's the exact 7-character "service tag" number on that Dell Inspiron laptop?

Are you saying it has a smaller capacity SSD and a larger capacity HDD internal storage drives?

Hi

The service tag is 6CZX7T2.

The SSD is 103GB and the Data drive is 931GB.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where are you storing your folders such as Downloads, Documents, and Pictures? Are they on the SSD or HDD?

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you haven't done so already, have a look at this page for using Disk Cleanup and other space-saving measures.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
The service tag is 6CZX7T2.
The SSD is 103GB and the Data drive is 931GB.
You have THIS Dell Inspiron 3780 Notebook PC which was purchased in the U.K. in March 2019.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when need.

According to its system configuration list at its support site, it appears it came with these 2 storage drives:
Seagate ST1000LM035 1 TB (931 GB actual capacity) SATA3 5400 RPM hard disk drive
Hynix BC501 128 GB (119 GB actual capacity) SATA3 PCIe solid state drive

You can confirm if thats correct by expanding the "Disk drives" entry in the Device Manager.

DRGW

You have THIS Dell Inspiron 3780 Notebook PC which was purchased in the U.K. in March 2019.

You should add and save this site in your browser favorites/bookmarks list so you can quickly refer to it when need.

According to its system configuration list at its support site, it appears it came with these 2 storage drives:
Seagate ST1000LM035 1 TB (931 GB actual capacity) SATA3 5400 RPM hard disk drive
Hynix BC501 128 GB (119 GB actual capacity) SATA3 PCIe solid state drive

You can confirm if thats correct by expanding the "Disk drives" entry in the Device Manager.

That is all correct what you have said.

DRGW

Having spoken to a neighbour who is a bit of a computer wizzkid, he advised just to drag and drop folders from my SSD to the Data drive as Windows 10 will automatically know what drive programs etc are on. Is this correct?

Also the SSD today shows 6.07GB free.

Downloads, documents etc are on the Data drive and there is plenty of room on this (639GB free).

What can I safely move to the Data drive?

Can somebody please give me step-by-step instructions telling me what I need to do?

Many thanks

DRGW

If you haven't done so already, have a look at this page for using Disk Cleanup and other space-saving measures.
I do a disc cleanup each month and have run it again now. It has barely made a difference. I did look at Storage Sense which I've not heard of before. It appears that most of the space is being taken up by System & reserved. Is there anything I can safely remove from this?

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Having spoken to a neighbour who is a bit of a computer wizzkid, he advised just to drag and drop folders from my SSD to the Data drive as Windows 10 will automatically know what drive programs etc are on. Is this correct?
If you listen to the advise of your "neighborhood whiz kid", you are going to add more problems to your laptop.
You cannot haphazardly move folders from one drive to another.

DRGW

Having looked about on the Internet, I have managed to free up some space by deleting old system restore points. I currently have 22.2GB free on the SSD.

One thing I have noticed under disc space usage, it is set at the maximum of 100%. Can this be adjusted or do I leave it as it is?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online