Solved Can I increase storage size?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

plodr

Liz
The SSD is now almost full and I have 9.19 GB free of 103GB. Can I increase the memory size on this?
I've asked that the title be changed. You want more storage as in space on the ssd. Memory refers to the amount of RAM in a computer.
It appears that most of the space is being taken up by System & reserved.
If you start removing items from System, you will possibly make the Windows 10 unbootable. System files are needed by Windows 10; you don't do anything with those.

Truthfully, as you've discovered an Hynix BC501 128 GB (119 GB actual capacity) SATA3 PCIe solid state drive is just too small for Windows 10 and its twice yearly huge updates.
As you've discovered in 2 years of use, you clean it up monthly and yet continue to be low on space. You'd have far fewer headaches if you replaced the 128GB ssd with a 256GB or 512GB ssd.

If you can't afford to replace the ssd, then I'd advise you to go through your programs and start using Revo Uninstaller to remove some of them. Revo will uninstall then also go through the registry and pick out items that can be deleted in there - safely. NEVER remove anything printed in red. Those are required items.

crjdriver

aving spoken to a neighbour who is a bit of a computer wizzkid, he advised just to drag and drop folders from my SSD to the Data drive as Windows 10 will automatically know what drive programs etc are on. Is this correct?
NO. While it may work for simple programs, larger programs such as Office, Photoshop, Quicken, etc, etc will not run. The reason for this is that when you install a program, the setup utility will install most files to the program's folder however some files ie .DLL type files are installed in the windows and or windows\system32 folder; along with the relevant registry entries showing the location of these .DLL files.
If you just drag a program's folder to another drive, it will not know where to look for these files.
While it is technically possible to edit registry entries to reflect the new location, doing so requires a reasonable level of skill.

Couriant

James
To add to the info here, there is a section in Settings called Storage where you can change the default drive for where you install programs, files, etc. Perhaps changing these settings may help, but in this day in age, 128GB is not enough if you are looking to run multiple programs on the SSD.

1626276349558.png

1626276397994.png

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
DRGW:
I've provided you with all the information and advice that I can, so I'll leave you with the others.
Good luck.

-------------------------------------------------

DRGW

I've asked that the title be changed. You want more storage as in space on the ssd. Memory refers to the amount of RAM in a computer.
If you start removing items from System, you will possibly make the Windows 10 unbootable. System files are needed by Windows 10; you don't do anything with those.

Truthfully, as you've discovered an Hynix BC501 128 GB (119 GB actual capacity) SATA3 PCIe solid state drive is just too small for Windows 10 and its twice yearly huge updates.
As you've discovered in 2 years of use, you clean it up monthly and yet continue to be low on space. You'd have far fewer headaches if you replaced the 128GB ssd with a 256GB or 512GB ssd.

If you can't afford to replace the ssd, then I'd advise you to go through your programs and start using Revo Uninstaller to remove some of them. Revo will uninstall then also go through the registry and pick out items that can be deleted in there - safely. NEVER remove anything printed in red. Those are required items.
im happy to have the SSD replaced. Whilst I have opened desktop PC’s and tinkered around etc, I’ve never had a laptop open before. How would I go about replacing the SSD? What make/model SSD would be best for my Dell laptop.

Any help and assistance you can give me with this will be greatly appreciated.

lochlomonder

Colin
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
As far as make & model are concerned, I'd recommend this Samsung. I've installed it on quite a few machines, and it works very well indeed. You could try and image the existing drive; however, it may be better to back up your data to offline media and then do a fresh install on the drive.

Installation of these drives isn't really difficult at all. However, have a look at this video and see if you feel confident doing that by yourself.

Couriant

James
Here is the service manual for your machine (Direct link to PDF)

Page 42 is the part on replacing the SSD drive. It's really the same way as installing memory... maybe a little easier. All you need to do is to remove the CD drive and the base cover to get to the SSD. Then remove the screw.

1626423792519.png

plodr

Liz
The hardest part will be cloning your Hynix to the new ssd you decide on.

A clone will use exactly the same size as the Hynix so you will need to expand the partition to get full use out of your larger ssd.

DRGW

I’ve taken the plunge and got a 1Tb SSD. I’ve encounter loads of issues how Curry’s/PC World set-up my laptop. The hard drive is raid whatever that it and it appears that system files are on the C drive and the D drive. I thought the D drive was purely for documents/date etc which isn’t the case in my laptop. Now going to make a list of all programs etc and see about starting it all from scratch.

Any advice people can offer me with this will be greatly appreciated.

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
The best advice I can offer is to have only the drive you intend to install Windows on connected at the time of installation.

crjdriver

I’ve taken the plunge and got a 1Tb SSD. I’ve encounter loads of issues how Curry’s/PC World set-up my laptop. The hard drive is raid whatever that it and it appears that system files are on the C drive and the D drive. I thought the D drive was purely for documents/date etc which isn’t the case in my laptop. Now going to make a list of all programs etc and see about starting it all from scratch.

Any advice people can offer me with this will be greatly appreciated.
If the drives were in Raid, you would see a single drive letter ie a raid array of two or more drives as drive C. Post a screenshot of disk management showing all drives.

DRGW

It was beginning to get a bit beyond my capabilities. However, I found a PC technician who lives fairly locally and he fitted a 1TB SSD (C drive) and also replaced my D drive with a SSD.

I can't believe how fast my laptop is now. Probably due to a fresh install of Windows and I no longer have programs I do not need. Will take a bit of time to get it back to how I want though.

Last edited:

Gr3iz

Mark
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Excellent! Glad to hear things worked out!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online