1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I Install A SATA II Drive on a Dell Dimension 5150

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by broadmate2003, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. broadmate2003

broadmate2003 Thread Starter

Hi,

My Question is that can I get a SATA II drive with any cache and will it work with the Dell's motherboard within the system as I think theres a problem with the HDD that I have now since in the last hour, Windows has been showing me the blue screen with the FATAL Error displaying and then after that the Fatal Error screen appears again with the beginning of physical dump and nothing else. I ran diagonsitcs on the computer and everything seem to be normal, but something is nagging me that it isn't.

2. thestig07

thestig07

SATA II is backwards compatible so you shouldn't have a problem getting a SATA II drive to work with your Dell tower. You just won't benefit from the fast transfer rates that SATA II offers.

On a side note; are you sure you need a new hard drive. It could be just your OS that is fudged. Try reinstalling the OS. If you are unsure about the integrity of your HDD have a read of this http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265 it will show you how to run Chkdsk.

I hope that helps.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The motherboard with Intel 945G chipset is recent enough that it should support SATA-II. But your problem may be with the Windows installation, not the hard drive itself.

If you are able to get to the BIOS setup, is the hard drive recognized there? If you are able to get Windows to boot in Safe Mode at all, look in the C:\windows\minidump folder for the dump logs, zip a couple and post here as a zip or rar attachment.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice