Solved Can I install a WD gaming external drive inside a PS4?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Serge2012

Hi,

I just bought a Western Digital external game drive 4TB and I'd like to know if I can install in inside the PS4. I have a 2TB drive in the PS4 and I'm running out of space, I'd like to replace that drive with the 4TB and use the old 2TB as an external drive to save other stuff. I'm not sure if that WD external will fit inside the PS4.
Here's the drive information :
Western Digital 4tb Gaming Drive - Works With Playstation 4 : Target

Thanks for your help,

Serge

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
No, you’d have to remove the drive from the enclosure which may be difficult.
You need an 2.5 internal drive (9.7mm). Same as for a laptop.

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
You could connect the drive as an external HDD & move your games to it, also set this as you preferred storage under settings.

Serge2012

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
Not that I can find on Target but Amazon.com should have them.
It also needs to be no more than 9.5mm in depth.
I would be easier to use the external hard drive & connect it via USB, then open Settings>USB storage devices>Click on the drive & choose to format it as extended storage, it will automatically set this drive as the default for installing new games. You can also move current games to this storage.
I’ve done this with my PS4.

Serge2012

Not that I can find on Target but Amazon.com should have them.
It also needs to be no more than 9.5mm in depth.
I would be easier to use the external hard drive & connect it via USB, then open Settings>USB storage devices>Click on the drive & choose to format it as extended storage, it will automatically set this drive as the default for installing new games. You can also move current games to this storage.
I’ve done this with my PS4.
Well, I just started to look on Amazon and other sites and it seems to be quite difficult to find any over 2TB with the right dimensions for the PS4... I know it would be easier to use the one I have as an extended storage, I wanted to remove the 2TB I already have on the PS4 and use it to copy other data. I will think about all this and get back to you later

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
I also checked on the UK site & unfortunately couldn’t find any.
As long as the drive is 2.5mm (laptop drive) & no larger than 9.5mm in depth it will work.

Serge2012

There’s SSDs available over 4Tb but these are pricey.
Well after checking online store and reading other information online it seems that none of internal drives over 2TB will fit in the PS4 unless it's a SSD. I have two 2TB SSD at home that I bought before on Black Friday which I use for movies and other videos but I agree with you and they are very pricey... So I'm gonna pass for now and just use that drive as an external gaming drive. I was wondering if it was possible to save other stuff (photos, videos, music) but games on that drive but I read that once you format it on the PS4 you can't use it again unless you reformat it and that sucks!...

Goddess-Bastet

Virginia
I don’t believe you can add other files to the games drive. You need to create a PS$ folder & within this create the specific folder within this iirc: Music. Photos or Videos. I have Music on a USB thumb drive.

Serge2012

Well I have music/photos and videos folders on my external drives and SSD which are formatted with ExFat. A pity Samsung 4K tvs can't read the data on external drives over 2TB. Well, I'm going to close this thread now and I want to thank you for your help and information.

Have a great day,

Serge

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online