Can I install DDR3 on this motherboard?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lyxdeslic

Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can install 8gigs of DDR3 on my HP desktop. I'm pretty sure I can't, but I want to verify. It's currently running 6gigs of DDR2 Here's what the "Memory Upgrade Information" says on HP.com's website for my "HP elite m9340f" Desktop --

Memory upgrade information
Dual channel memory architecture
Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs
Supports up to 4 GB* on 32 bit PCs
*32-bit operating systems cannot address a full 4.0 GB of memory.

If I can, what type would you recommend / what should I look for? Secondly, if I cannot, how much of a difference would 6gigs of DDR2 make in comparison to DDR3 when trying to play an upcoming game like Elder Scrolls: Skyrim? Does DDR3 make that much of a difference? Also, I'm running Windows Professional 64-bit.

Thanks in advance guys.

Snagglegaster

Banned
Hey guys, I'm wondering if I can install 8gigs of DDR3 on my HP desktop. I'm pretty sure I can't, but I want to verify. It's currently running 6gigs of DDR2
You've answered your own question. If you computer uses DDR2, it can't run DDR3.

Lyxdeslic

I figured as much, just wanted to double check, thank you. Is there a huge difference?

Snagglegaster

Banned
Not really. One of the problems with benchmarks is that they just don't translate well into People Time. Sometimes, big differences in benchmarks aren't really perceptible to the user. Some benchmarks are also manipulated to produce skewed results. I have 30 years of computer ownership under my belt, and I've run a computer service business for 14 years. I've seen any number of benchmarks and demos that look really neat, but have virtually zero correspondence to real world usage. If your computer isn't up to your performance requirements, you probably need to replace it rather than try for incremental improvements.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online