1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i install my mobo into an HP case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GDenoncourt, Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GDenoncourt

GDenoncourt Thread Starter

I have tried installing motherboards into compaq cases only to find that th LEDs and switches are standard. I just got a Free HP case and wanted to put my MiniATX mobo in it. Im not sure exactly what sixe the case is, but i think its a midtower. Has anyone dont this before or have a link to who has dont it?
    thanks

2. GDenoncourt

3. Romulus

Romulus

If the case is ATX then you shouldn't worry. It should work.
    Follow the manual for the new Mainboard and then try to figure out which cable goes where.
    Standard cables you should have are Power LED, HDD, Reset and maybe even a Speaker.

Could you like.. list all cables in the case and type down your new Mainboard (model, brand)?

4. wedor

wedor

I have run into the same problem with HP cases, any brand name system can have proprietary connectors. In the last HP case I used the front panel cables were too short for the new board.

5. compilerxp

compilerxp

Considering that NAME Brand cases are low-performance with connectors made to work on THEIR boards and power supplies that are tiny... I don't think its worth the headache... Possible yes, but you may spend some time trying to re-things to fit or buying extenders.

It varies...

6. GDenoncourt

bumpidy bump bump.. I have a bump on my crotch.
    Ok thanks for the help. Do you all know for a fact that it has proprietary connectors. This is the only case i have and it seems perfect for a HTPC. I will figure it out i guess. I havent seen the case yet so i have no idea what to expect. It would be nice to mod though.
    I have a gigabyte ga7zmm. its a really small mobo.

7. GDenoncourt

8. compilerxp

compilerxp

good luck... yeah, it varies... they have some TINY MATX cases and standard mid-towers which are still MATX...

9. Goldtoes

Goldtoes

besides having a few problems with connectors, a mini atx mobo should fit fine into a atx hp case. and if it doesnt, hell, just drill some extra holes :D

10. GDenoncourt

how will drilling holes fix my connectors? lol Everyone, thanks for your help.. I guess i wont know untill i get home and see the case. Its really dirty i hear so what should i wash it off with? And does nyone have pics of HP casemods?

bumpidy i hit a bump on the road

11. compilerxp

compilerxp

er... if youre looking at case moding, then you need a better case... something bigger and easier to modify... :)

Cleaning:

1 - AIR HOSE, if you have one - great for dust, useless for grim
    2 - soapy wet washcloth or paper towels won't hurt it - don't wash inside of powersupply.

12. Hargonin

Hargonin

use Fantastic for cleaning its......fantastic!

13. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Just make sure it has a decent powersupply. HP usaully has a extreme low wattage powersupplies.

I also don't like working in HP cases because they are cramped and look bad.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/153673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice