1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I install Win98,if I already have XP?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chatterjee, Jan 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chatterjee

chatterjee Thread Starter

Hi pals,

I have some old BASIC programs to run that's why I decided to install Win98 on the other partition of my harddisk.Is it possible to install 98 if I already have XP?If yes please guide me through the process.

Thanks in advance

2. jubalsams

jubalsams

There are some canned procedures although highly restricted (Google: Install Windows 98 after Windows XP). There are other methods using third party boot manager or manual selection (GDISK or pqboot). The MS procedure is of course to install 98 then install XP.

Best

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never used dual partitions and dual operating systems, so what I'm about to say may not be correct.

I believe that Windows 98 has to be installed first on one partition and then Windows XP installed second on the other partition.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. flynstone

flynstone

You may be able to get some older programmes to work in XP by right clicking on the .exe file, choose Properties and then Compatibility Tab. No idea if this works as I have never tried it. Also go into Help & Support via your Start button and search for 'Program Compatibility Wizard'.

[​IMG]

5. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

There are a couple of pitfalls in doing what you want. W98 has to boot from the first primary partition, and of course that partition has to be FAT32.

I'd consider a boot manager that hides the XP boot partition and will allow you to do what you want to do. I use BootMagic, since it came with Partition Magic, and I had it on hand.

6. chatterjee

chatterjee Thread Starter

Thank you for your help buddies!

I also think that Win98 has to be installed first and then WinXP.But I thought when there is a will,there is a way so,I decided to put the question here.

@fynstone,I've tried WinXP compatibility feature earlier bu to no avail.For that very incident I jumped to the conclusion that I need to install Win98.

@Johnwill,I installed XP on C:.What should I do now?If I download and install BootMagic,would it handle the whole operation adeptly?What's the easiest way?

Awaiting an early reply from al of you.

7. Dan O

Dan O

8. saikee

saikee

You can boot a Win98 after installing XP if you use Grub.

In fact you can put all MS systems in the box and boot by the same Grub.

If that is not enough you can add all the Linux, BSD and Solaris you can find for Grub to boot.

100+ systems is nothing for this boot loader, as the link in my signature shows.

This thread explains how you can put Grub into a data-only partition to boot other system. You can use the same principle to boot Win98.

Grub has "hide", "unhide" and "map" commands to rearranging the disk order and hide the partitions ahead of the booting queue. The link in signature has Grub instructions to boot 3 Dos and 3 Windows. The latter has both Win98 and XP.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    -----late addition after a second thought--------

Here is a 100% Windows only for the die-hard MS users

Use whatever mean to obtain the free hard disk space for a Win98 installation. Use XP to format it into a primary Fat32 format.

Before exit XP, right click My Computer/Manage/Storage/Dsiak Management and make the new Fat32 partition "active".

On reboot XP will not boot so install Win98 onto the new partition. Reboot it to a full working system.

Play around with with your Basic programs. ( self a Basic user too)

When you want to go back XP, drop into Dos command mode in Win98, use "fdisk.exe" to switch XP partition "active" again.

Next reboot will see XP and no Win98

Just switching the active partition around to boot either XP or Win98.

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can do the same thing with BootMagic, and I suspect it'll be easier to do. :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/433687

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice