1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I install win98 over winXP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Gill, Nov 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

Hiya peeps,

My brother in-law has a winXP puter, but it doesn't work very well because it only has 64mb memory. He's going to update the memory to 256mb after Christmas, but for the time being, he wants me to put win98 on it.
    Can I install win98, on the puter without losing the winXP? or will I have to do a clean install, and format harddrive.

Gill

2. Sequal7

Sequal7

You will need to partition the harddrive for this to work, unfortunately this cant be done now, it needed to be done during the install of xp.

If you install 98, you will need to remove XP.
    Good news is when you install 98, run fdisk (http://members.bellatlantic.net/~mrscary/fdisk.htm) and create two partitions (basically cut the disk in half) install Xp on one, and 98 on the other. Modify your boot.ini to accept both os's then your in business.

3. micned

micned

You can do this if you use a 3rd party partitioning tool like Partition Magic. Windows XP has a pretty good partitioning tool with it, but I haven't fooled around with it much so I don't know if you can move and create partitions without reformatting. Partition Magic will let you create a new partition for Win98 without reformating your Win XP one though, as long as you have some free space to work with.

Good luck
    -micned

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you use something like Partition Magic, you can carve up the disk into two partitions. Of course, in order to install W98 and XP dual boot, the boot partition has to be FAT32, so you'll have to convert it with something like PM as well.

5. DVation

DVation

I hate to contradict others that take the time to help people on this forum (for that I appologize Sequal7), but the comment "You will need to partition the harddrive for this to work, unfortunately this cant be done now" is very much untrue. micned has it right, Partition Magic can accomplish this for you. While the author strongly suggests backuping up data before doing this (this is a very sensitive procedure), as long as you defrag before doing it, you should be fine. I have done this MANY times and not once have a had a failed partition resize.

you will actually be shrinking the size of the xp partition to make room for creating another partition on which you will format with FAT32 for Win98.

One other thing to keep in mind though, 98 never knew about XP, so when you install 98 your pc will boot to 98 without asking you if you want xp. From 98 you will have to edit the boot.ini to reflect the changes. If you get to this point and need help, start another thread. Good luck.

6. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

Thankyou everyone for your input, sorry I've taken so long to reply.

I've just got brother-in-laws puter, and I think it may have already been partitioned when XP was installed, as the XP is on the FAT32 file system.
    Also, there is a version of win98 already on the computer, but what do I have to do so the win98 boots up instead of XP?

Gill

7. dai

dai

8. Gill

Gill Thread Starter

I'm thinking about reformatting, and doing a clean install of win98 instead, but brother-in-law doesn't have a drivers disc!
    Will I be able to install the modem etc without the proper drivers disc?

Gill

9. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Modem drivers shouldnt really be a problem, as long as it conforms to some sembelance of standards. If it doesnt, then just use your computer to go find the drivers and copy them to a floppy.

10. dai

dai

go to the modem manufacturers web site and d/l the drivers before you start plus any other drivers you require

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

While you may have never had a failure, it's bad advice to suggest doing this without a backup. :rolleyes: FWIW, I have had PM scramble a partition, doing the conversion from NTFS to FAT32 as it turns out. Never did know what really happened, but I just restored the volume from the current backup and moved on. The manufacturer's recommendation to make a backup is sound advice, and I suspect they have a good reason for making the call. Think about a memory error or a power failure during the process, to name a couple of reasons...

12. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

ITs always sound advice to back up your data, unless there is nothing you need (which you will find is never)

13. DVation

DVation

thanks for the clarification johnwill, but i never recommended doing it without backing up data. yes, i mentioned the authors recommendation, yes, i mentioned i have never had to, yes, i mentioned i never had a problem, and yes i suggested that most of the time there is not a problem, but not once did i recommend doing this without backing up. for the sake of the post creator, it should be clarified to death by now.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/180363

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice