1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i install windows 2000 without a boot up disk

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by andy_pandy, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andy_pandy

andy_pandy Thread Starter

i have i windows 2000 disk but i dnt have a boot up disk.i was woudering if you could help me and can you install it from the doc at the start when i turn on the computer.i have windows me at the min but it is not working so i wont 2 install w2k.can any 1 help me.thanks :eek:

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The Windows2000 CD should be able to boot by itself.

If your computer won't boot from a CD:

1. Copy the source files to a directory on the hard drive while ME has booted.
    2. Boot with a ME disk. Make sure you have smartdrv loaded.
    3. Delete the current \windows and \progra~1 directory. I like to use deltree since it will delete the directory and all subdirectories.
    4. Delete any other directories you want.
    5. Go to the Windows2000 i386 directory and start the Windows2000 install.

This gives you the benefits of having a clean install without needing to completely format the hard drive first. So any critical data will be saved. As always with something like this, backup anyway.

3. tripudio

tripudio

Here's a link where you can download the windows 2000 setup disks.

http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

Download the 4 windows 2000 setup disks

Create the 4 setup disks - boot off 1st disk - follow prompts, basically it will ask you to insert the next disk (you'll have the windows 2000 cd inserted at this point)

If you dont wont Windows ME installed anymore - you will be able to delete the windows ME partition during the installation of windows 2000, create and format a new partition for windows 2000.

4. andy_pandy

but my windows me is now working. i tryed to get the boot disk but 1 of them would't download.what should i do

5. andy_pandy

ok i have download the 4 disk.i have put them on 2 floppy is that ok.do i put the disk in then start up the computer???

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The setup disks require four floppies; if you put them on two disks then something is wrong. You should have a folder on your win2k cd call make disk or make bootdisk. Go to that folder and run the file in it. The program will make the four setup disks for you. Have four floppy disk ready when you do this.

7. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

8. andy_pandy

i have put them on 2 4 disk but my computer well not log on to put them in to the folders can i do this on a other compter the go back to it

9. andy_pandy

i put the 1st disk into the computer and started it up but it gos 2 a blank screen nothink at all comes up now.what do i do???

10. andy_pandy

do i have 2 do any think when i put the 1st disk in???

11. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It doesn't sound like the Windows2000 disks have been either downloaded or created correctly. Have you looked at simply using the Win98 boot disk. Likely the files would have already been copied to the hard drive or at least you would have already been installing Windows2000 by now.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

There is something wrong either with the way you created the disks or the file / program you used is corrupt. Follow Bob's instructions for installing from a win9x boot disk. Make sure you download a copy of smartdrv.exe [smartdrive] either copy it to the boot disk or put it on your hd. Run smartdrive before you start the install. Change to your install folder; most likely i386 and type "winnt" without quotes. The install will start and give you the option to delete / create / format etc.

13. tripudio

tripudio

Q. How does one make a Windows 2000 boot floppy?

A. There are four Windows 2000 Setup Boot floppies. The first one is bootable. To make a set of these disks, insert the Windows 2000 CD in a CD-ROM drive on any computer running Windows or MS-DOS with the drivers for CD-ROM drive access.

In Windows 2000, 9X or Me: Start, Run, enter D:\bootdisk\ makebt32 a: where D: is your CD-ROM drive.

In Windows 9X or Me: Start, Run, enter D:\bootdisk\makeboot a: where D: is your CD-ROM drive.

Microsoft Knowledgebase Article Q197063 says to use makebt32.exe for Windows 9X/Me and makeboot for Windows 2000/NT. Those directions are backwards from what worked for me.

From a DOS or Windows 98/Me boot/Startup floppy (http://duxcw.com/digest/Fromshop/software/windows/startup/startup.htm, http://duxcw.com/digest/Howto/software/windows/winme/startup/page1.html

D:\bootdisk>makeboot a:

Windows 2000 Pro boot disks are not compatible with Windows 2000 Server and vice versa.

14. andy_pandy

can i boot up windows 2000 when i start it up in the doc part what are the commads

15. tripudio

tripudio

are you in the windows 2000 setup screen?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219583

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice