1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I install XP on 2 PC's without a special liscense?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Deecie, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deecie

Deecie Thread Starter

I have an academic version of the Microsoft Windows XP Upgrade software (I used to have windows 98). Does the liscense cover installing XP on two PC's? I've just finished building my new PC, and it occured to me that I hadn't actually bought the OS yet!
    So, can I install XP on the other machine as well? They will be networked, with my current PC accessing the internet through the new one. Also, since it's upgrade edition, will it have problems of upgrading from the same liscense of windows 98 on two seperate machines?

Thanks for your time!

2. SplashChris

SplashChris

In a word...NO. Microsoft's End User License Agreement (EULA) permits only one copy of an OS to be installed. Two PC's = two licensed copies of XP. The same applies to a laptop. You have to pay for the license.

Someone else here may be able to clarify, but you may be able to contact MS and buy a license (i.e. key) for a discounted price, thouch I'm not 100% certain about that. I recall reading about it in a forum somewhere...

3. Deecie

Deecie Thread Starter

Ah, ok. I don't have a problem with buying a new one, I just didn't want to do so if it would go to waste.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice