Can I Install XP Pro on my computer?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MEbeME

Hey all.

If I went out and purchased a Windows XP Pro package, would I be able to install the operating System on my Windows 2000 computer?

If you need any information to to know, just reply.

Thanks to anyone who considers it

Mebeme

MEbeME

What kind of details and where do i get them.

Sorry for my ignorance

How old? . . What Brand? . . Model? . . if custom built, what motherboard, processor, how much memory

MEbeME

ok I found this. THX for ur help.

System:

Microsoft Windows 2000
Service Pack 4

Manufactured and Supported by:
IBM
IBM Personal Computer
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping 6
AT/AT COMPATIBLE
391,356 KB RAM

Where do I find the otherstuff. I just bought the computer whole.

MEbeME

It was an IBM business computer and I purchased it from IBM after they no longer needed it.

I did install the most up to date graphics card.

MEbeME

I opened it up and on the inside it reads:

Intel 815
FW82815
F0411F67
SL 4DP

MEbeME

Oh Heres the Specs I was able to confirm as well:

NVISTA A40 DT
Pentium 3
866 MHZ
20GB
128MB
40x CD Rom
Win200 Pro

techkid

David
That 128MB RAM is what it had in it originally, I gather. But from the previous post (post #8) it seems to have been upgraded.

From the looks of what your system has got, it should be able to run XP pretty well.

MEbeME said:
Hey all.

If I went out and purchased a Windows XP Pro package, would I be able to install the operating System on my Windows 2000 computer?

Mebeme
You can run XP Pro I know someone that is running a 866 P-3 with a gig of ram with XP Pro but you really will be disappointed at the speed loss from 2000 to XP, personally I would just stay with 2000 until I upgraded my PC to a bigger processor model, but this is just my opinion I am sure everyone has their own. ;)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online