1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can I just delete the _Restore folder?

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Cake4All, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

Hello. I am running WindowsME
    I am not sure why, but the System Restore feature has never worked. It could be because of Norton applicatons or whatever, I don't really care anymore because the times I tried to use it, it just never worked.

I have it turned off now and my question is this:
    Can I delete the hidden folder C:\_Restore?
    I am guessing it is supposed to be hidden because the folder looks sort of transparent and I have show all files & folders selected.

If I right click on this folder, it says it is 5.02 gigs large.

If you say, okay go ahead and delete it, is there anything else I should kill off, related files?

Thank you very much

2. elaich

elaich

The System Restore was buggy out of the box. Have you applied the patch available at Windows Update?

Unless you disable SR, Windows will not let you delete the folder, as it is a system file. You can disable SR in Control Panel, but guess what? The folder keeps coming back when you delete it. ;)

At least with SR disabled, it doesn't grow to many megabytes in size. Over 5 gigs? Wow!

Control Panel>System>Performance>File System>Troubleshooting. Now you'll see the "Disable System Restore" option. Just tick the box.

3. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

buggy is right
    I tried to use it just testing before and after installing applications. Didn't really need it at the time, was just testing and testing and testing. It never worked no matter what routine I performed.

I got to Windows update pretty well weekly and I am all up-to-date

Well it is off now, so I guess I can go ahead and delete all of the files contained within.

Wish me luck - :)

off to free a little space

4. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

I did it. First I moved all of the files into a new folder because I was a bit chicken
    I rebooted and everything worked fine so I deleted all 5 gigs of that stuff

I now have 1/2 of my teeny-tiny hard drive space back!

Just for fun, I turned System Restore back on and it recreated all of the folders except now it is only 14 mg. Don't know why it got so large the first time around but now I am comfortable knowing I don't need it at all, useless little item that it was.

I am going to keep it disabled and firgitaboudit

thank you

5. elaich

elaich

It gets huge because Windows keeps creating restore points and adding saved info to it.

There are other registry backup programs which work far better than System Restore. Also, (here is what I do) you can use a program called XXCOPY to "ghost" your current OS to another partition on your hard drive. If you mess it up somehow, you can use XXCOPY to restore a recent working version to your C: partition.

Since I'm always trying out new software, I do occasionally screw up my OS and XXCOPY always bails me out. You just have to remember to ghost it before making any major changes.

www.xxcopy.com

It's free for personal use. It's a command line program that runs from the DOS prompt. Very easy to use.

6. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

I will look into that
    My machine is currently set up so that I can use the OEM recovery discs and just reformat C
    so I keep all of my data on D
    If I get overly inquisitive and muck up, I just have to go throught the hassle of reloading all of my apps.
    I will check out as you suggested & maybe save myself some time

Thanks!

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Go into the System Restore properties and change the amount of hard drive space that it allocates for itself. I believe the default size is 12%, but I'm not positive. Anyway, move the slider back to where only 800 - 1000 MB of hard drive space is allocated for it.

8. Cake4All

Cake4All Thread Starter

thank you flavallee

9. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)

There's no sense letting it gobble up all that space. (n)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice