1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I leave a bad laptop battery attached while using AC power?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by astrogirl, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. astrogirl

astrogirl Thread Starter

Hi all

I'm using a thinkpad T60. I think my battery is out, I've been checking it through the ThinkVantage and it said battery ok but should discharge and recharge. I did that and it was ok for a few weeks but power gauge always says 80%-90% and less than a hour, it goes into hibernation.

Now, without AC, my thinkpad can't be switched on. I leave the ac on while the battery is still attached to use it. The battery icon is orange and blinking. When I've shut down, I remove the ac plug. I've never removed the battery before since I've used this thinkpad 4 years ago.

Is this harmful to my thinkpad, all my data and stuff?
    I'm reluctant to remove the battery in case dust gathers around the exposed portion. I'm also reluctant to buy a new battery as I'm thinking of getting a new netbook, those 10" type of laptop.
    What's the best way to manage and keep using this thinkpad without a new battery, or is it a big NO NO???

Please help, I'm not very IT savvy. Thanks in advance!

astrogirl

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

It sounds like the battery is still functioning, albeit at a reduced level. That means that the battery itself is not seriously damaged inside and has no internal shorts. It would be safe to leave it in.

As far as data and the system go, it really has nothing to do with it. Even if you leave the battery out, your data is safe on the hard drive and does not need power to be maintained.

Your unplugging it when it is not in use is a good idea, too. It may extend the battery's short life by not trying to charge it all the time, and you do not need to worry about it overheating (the battery or the charger).

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

I had my battery in all the time for two years, mostly while plugged in. It recently started going from 100% charged to shutdown in about five minutes. Needless to say, I replaced it. I now do not leave the battery in except when I am charging it. Not really a problem for me, except when I want to carry the notebook into the other room to print, or when the power goes out unexpectedly. I suppose I could configure the printer for wireless, but it seems like an unneccesary expense right now.

4. astrogirl

astrogirl Thread Starter

Hi Elvandil

Right now, I cannot power on the thinkpad without ac plugged in at all. I've plugged in ac to power up.

When I move my mouse over the battery icon in the notification area 'battery power gauge', it says '99% remaining. Irreparable damage to the battery has been detected. Replace the battery with a new one'.

May I just leave this battery attached anyway? Thanks for advice.

astrogirl

5. Rick_in_Fla

Rick_in_Fla

Take the battery out, it's useless now. And read AKAJohnDoe's response.

6. casper0191

casper0191

Well i think you should start on saving up for a new battery. It's better to solve the problem instead on letting it that way. Your laptop might end with further damage.

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

Yes, I wouldn't worry about it if you only plug it in when you use it. The battery will never recharge. It has probably developed "memory" and thinks it is full at a very low level.

If you don't want to buy a new one, and the machine runs fine, then the battery is not shorted or draining the CMOS battery and it will be fine.

8. astrogirl

astrogirl Thread Starter

Thanks all for your response.

The only reason why I'm reluctant to remove the battery is I don't want that area without the battery, exposed with crevices collecting dust and hard to clean.

Hi Elvandil

How would I know if the battery is shorted or draining the CMOS battery? Appreciate your help!

astrogirl

9. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe

It would be nice to have a simple cover for the battery space. I suppose there is always duct tape ....

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/825154

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice