1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can i lock a folder on my pc?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cdpaul, Jan 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

My pc is used by all the family, other than having my own user password is there a way to have a password protected folder?

Im using xp pro.

Thanx

2. welshY

welshY

3. Lance1

Lance1

Yes you can. Right-click the desktop or inside any folder, and choose New, Compressed (zipped) Folder This adds a new folder in that location with the default name 'New Compressed Folder'. This applies if no other compression utility is installed like Winzip, it will take over as the default so use that in place Compressed (zipped) Folder. Type a name for the folder and press Enter. Double-click the folder to open it.

Now open Windows Explorer or any folder and select the folders and/or files you want to password-protect. Use the right mouse button to drag the items into the new compressed folder. When you release the mouse button, choose Move Here. (If you left-drag, only copies will be added to the compressed folders, leaving the originals unprotected.) Now inside the compressed folder you created click file\ password and create the password. That’s it.

Attached Files:

4. jackrabbit

jackrabbit

COOL, I tried it too, nice trick. Far better than setting up seperate accounts as everyone in my house uses my pc too

5. cdpaul

cdpaul Thread Starter

Wot a shame, that looks gr8 but i have winrar and need it.

Will have a look at the freebie proggy

6. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy

I wouldn't use compression this just eats the CPU and is another step the PC has to do each time you access it. Look at the freebie one.

7. loony_taz00

loony_taz00

I gonna look into that program.. Looks good

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432216

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice