1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I make two modems work on cable internet?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wildbill2u, Aug 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildbill2u

wildbill2u Thread Starter

Mar 29, 2007
    I have a problem. We have one cable internet account with Time Warner. I want to have two modems--one connected in the game room for the kids to use and one connected in the home office to the two computers in the home office.

A wireless connection from the game room to the office doesn't appear to be workable since the computers aren't set up for wireless. I'd just like to add another modem connection to the cable outlet in the office instead of having to move the whole thing between the two rooms every time someone needs to use it. You can imagine the wailing when there are competing needs.

Time Warner says this won't work because the modems have specific ids that identify them and make them work. They day I'd have to set up wireless or buy another cable account.

So my question is: Is it possible to program the same id into both modems if I buy another one. Or any other suggestions that will solve the problem.

Thanks in advance for the help I know will come from you guys.

2. etaf

etaf Wayne Moderator

Oct 2, 2003
    i will move to networking forum where you should get more response
    do you have the make and model of the modem
    can you run a cable between the two rooms at all - you could then setup another router

can you explain what this cable is ?

also make and models of the PCs without wireless - you can buy USB wireless adapters
  3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Oct 19, 2002
    There is no way you can use two DOCSIS modems on one cable account.

You'll have to look into either a wireless router or running a cable from the modem location to the other room. I'd suggest a router anyway, since then you can have them connected permanently and not have to do anything.
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/941166