1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I mount a local folder as a CD drive.

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by wlraider70, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wlraider70

wlraider70 Thread Starter

Ok so what im wondering is...

I have heard of mounting an ISO as a CD drive.
    I was wondering if i could create a folder and mount it as a CD and then add and remove files as i wanted.

I think some thumb drives came with a program that did something like this.

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

The only instance in which I've seen this is with SanDisk Cruzer flash drives. They contain special software that launches an interface where you can install, remove, or run programs. If you only want to add and remove files, you can do that from a folder. What other special functionality are you looking to use that only a virtual CD-ROM drive would provide?

3. wlraider70

wlraider70 Thread Starter

I don't neccessarily have a need.
    I was thinking of it like having an iso mounted but without the needed to create an actual iso.

Posted via Mobile Device

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You'd accomplish the same thing by using a simple folder. The files in the folder are in the same state that they would be in if you extracted an iso or copied them from a CD.

5. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Sounds like you want to give just a local area its own virtual drive designation? Something like what nework mapping does over a network? I don't know of anything but it seems like it might exist. A CD-sized partition on a network drive would do it but that doesn't seem very useful to me.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/870244

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice