1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I move my old computer's hard drive to my new computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rshake20, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rshake20

Rshake20 Thread Starter

I'm still using my Windows XP Pro computer but it doesn't have a lot of space left on the hard drive. When I bought this computer it only had 6GB of space. I only have 1GB of space left on the hard drive. My old computer has 18GB left on the hard drive. I edit videos a lot and I also want to play some PC games. Could I just take out the old hard drive and hook it up in my Windows XP computer? Do you think that I should just buy an external hard drive?

2. bigbear

bigbear

Of course you can if you have a spare slot and spare connectors.
    Just remember to set the jumper as slave or cable select

3. Rshake20

Rshake20 Thread Starter

Oh ok. I might just bring a friend over so that he can help me with this. I've never opened up a computer before.

4. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

Core issue: the nature of the HDDs. Sata or IDE? Even if your old drive is IDE, & yr new system mainly SATA, U could still hook up an IDE HDD to the second station on your optical cable.

Or, if U have the option to install a second HDD in yr new system, do that, first determining the right drive for the system and max size... format the drive and clone everything on yr old drive onto the new one.
    U would also have 2 factor in your PSU, etc.

Pls tell us about yr respective systems and HDDs.

Relatedly....when yr friend comes by....the more you learn to do on your own with yr puters....the more autonomous U will B....in all areans! It is thrilling. Power is within....nevah ovah others outside us. Make it a great adventure!:)

5. Rshake20

Rshake20 Thread Starter

I don't really know anything about the PSU and the Sata. I plan on doing this stuff of Friday. I don't have school on Friday so I will have more time to play around with everything. But thanks for the info.

6. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

7. Rshake20

Rshake20 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

If you do a lot of video editing, and only have 18 gigs free on the old hard drive, you may just consider getting a larger hard drive and then have plenty of space. The cost these days is not that much. You might check around your area. It is not uncommon to find places that, if you purchase the hard drive from them, for a nominal fee or free will transfer your old hard drive to the new one.

9. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

No problem, Mike....when you can, pls share some of the data Astra reveals. while the free version does ot allow reports, U could make a screenshot and attahc it here: with the right itnerface open....the hone showing the info on your hard drive....U could do more than one....Astra in left menu at bottom has many options to expand each function....

...to only make shot of the interface, press Alt+Print screen. then, Start.programs> Paint....yours may b in accessorites. when paint opens, >toobar>edit>paste.

Save the file, name is something and ark it where convenient, ui.e. on yr desktop. Save it as JPEG file.

Then, in this thread, hit attachments>browse>desktop if that is where U parked it and hit upload.

10. Rshake20

Rshake20 Thread Starter

11. Ariesjill

Ariesjill Banned

I totally agree with Bob's last suggestion:

Thanks 4 posting your Astra interface. Yes, your system is limited in it's potential...you know how technology marches along relentlessly; yes, yr HDD is IDE, and yes, Bob's suggestion to replace it with a larger one i think is your best option. You could then slave your current one and copy yr files. Appears you might B pushing yr capacity limits installing a second drive.

You could even us XXclone trial version to, after formatting the new drive, perfectly copy everything on yr current one to the new one.

I would first check and see wut the max volume potential is....SINCE that is sometimes an issue with older motherboards.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/659362

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice