1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i network through a router

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by hannas, Oct 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hannas

hannas Thread Starter

Hey all...again
    I have a four port modem/router and i cant seem to set up an network between the four pc's connected to it. all are running XP pro and i have the same settings i.e. workgroup name for all of them. When i am trying to set this up in the wizard, it tells me that it dont like the idea of me having the network set up like that "one computer should connect to the net and all others on the network should connect through that one" this is impractical but is it the reason we cant network? Every time i click 'view workgroup computers' i get a message that i may not have the privileges to do that, but i am logged in as administrator.
    Any ideas?

Cheers!

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

I network several PCs running XP using a hub and an ADSL router. I had the hub first, otherwise I would have used a 4 port ADSL router.

You have all the PCs in the same workgroup, thats OK.
    How are you handling IP addresses?
    Either assign fixed IP addresses (10.0.0.1, 10.0.0.2 etc) with the first 3 number groups the same (including the router)
    Or
    Assign the job of managing the IP addresses to the ADSL router if its capable of acting as the DHCP host.

In my case my router was factory assigned 10.0.0.138.
    I left that as it was, and allowed it to be the DHCP host (factory default).
    It dishes out the IP addresses as required.

Have you enabled sharing of at least something on each PC?

Puzzled by the suggestion that you will connect to the net via one PC. Does that mean the adsl router is a PCI card, internal to one PC? Certainly not the easiest way, as that will require network bridging I think. External adsl router is easiest.

Its that simple with XP, guests at this office can connect within about 60 seconds, just by running the wizard.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

DON'T use the brain-dead XP networking wizard! (n)

First off, if all the computers are able to connect to the Internet, you have most of the components in place to share files/printers.

In TCP/IP properties, make sure you have NETBIOS over TCP/IP enabled for all machines.

You will need an account on any "server" machine that has the same name/password as the machine attempting to connect to it. "server" just indicates that the machine has resources you wish to access from other machines.

Make sure you have file/print sharing installed on any machines you intend to share resources on.

In My Computer, right click on a drive or printer and establish a new share.

This should get you going.

There are issues with workgroup sharing and the arcane Microsoft computer browsing scheme that sometimes results in computers not showing up in Network Neighborhood, even when you've done everything indicated. In that case, I usually just install the NETBEUI protocol on all machine.
    Microsoft's Instructions, NETBEUI on XP

4. Miz

Miz

Check your router's manual. On some 4-port routers (Linksys being one), the port next to the one you plug the modem into is disabled when the modem's port is used, effectively turning it into a 3-port router.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169212

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice