1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I network?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Lareux, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

I just bought a laptop with Vista, and the desktops I use are XP. Please tell me there is a ways to network these together.

Thanks

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Yes, when you plug in you CAT5 cable the network should be found when you power up.

3. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

OK, what if the laptop (Vista) is wireless?

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    And you have a wireless router it should be found unless you turned off the broadcast and set the security to be hidden on your router.

5. jmwills

jmwills

Search the forum as this has been discussed dozens of times.

6. uhaligani

uhaligani Guest

Not too much harm in running through it again JM, if Davea is willing. If all the QA's were eliminated on those gounds I don't think there would be much left to post about.

7. SirMille

SirMille

Network Magic, you'll find a link to it from my site (see sig)
    edit
    here it is http://www.networkmagic.com/
    it'll setup your network for you

8. Lareux

Lareux Thread Starter

OK. I tried the network magic. I would have had to pay $30 or do a Trial for another product. I have gone through a lot with this new computer. It was not a planned purchase, and have had many other expenses also. I really can't pay any more.

I have also searched through all of the threads I could find. I can't figure out how to set up the network. If there is a way to do this without paying for software, I would really appreciate instructions. I am pretty computer literate and have always been able to set up networks on XP.

Thanks for anything you can do.

9. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Maybe if you asked what specifically isn't working when trying to set up the network. You indicate you've done this with XP. What can't you find in Vista?

There are literally thousands of websites dedicated to setting up networking. I can't believe you can't find anything.

10. Rich-M

Rich-M

All you need is the "workgroup" name is the same and sharing is allowed in the Network & Sharing Center and then you should see all pc's and be able to access them providing they allow sharing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/648294

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice