Can I overclock these?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

matrim

Hi,
Two hardward issues: 1)CPU upgrade and 2)Video card. The motherboard and vid card specs are in my sig.

I recently upgraded my cpu from a Sempron to Athon 3000+. My understanding is that it is supposed to do the work load of a Pentium 4 at 3.0 Ghz. That Athlon is running at 2.18 Ghz so that just doesn't seem right. Does it work as well as a 3.0Ghz? And the real question, can it be overclocked, or is it not worth it?

The video card below can be overclocked by using the nvidia tool can't it, or do I have to something else? And how high can I get it before it melts? :D

Thanks for the help.

AMD processors run at a lower clock speed then intel processors. They do MORE work per clock cycle then an Intel does so your AMD 3000+ should perform about the same as a p4 3.0ghz.

AMD is the overclocking processor of choice for many enthusiasts due to the fact they tend to be cheaper then their intel counterparts. IF you are not familiar with the process you should read up as much as possible on the subject. It would be impossible to tell you how to overclock in 1 post as there are too many variables.

No way to say how high you can go. A lot of times it's a crapshoot. No 2 processors will overclock the same. It's really a matter of getting a 'Cherry' core(meaning getting lucky).

matrim

Thanks for the help!
Can I get an approximation? Maybe 2.35 or something? Also, does that go for the video card overclock?

To be honest with you. Overclocking the video card probably isn't worth the hassle. The FX5200 is a low end card. Overclocking yields from video cards don't provide a significant performance increase. Upgrading the card would.

2.35 from 2.18 should be possible from your processor. Please read more about it.

See here:http://www.amdboard.com/ocspecial.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online