1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I plug and play 2 Hard drives together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by seamus8u, Apr 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

I have a Samsung 80gig HD on my HP Pav. I just removed one(exact same kind) from my old box. Can I plug it into the slavepins and it will work? Or is there more to it than that? I have two 80gig hard drives so I thought it would be pretty bad *** to use them both together, 160 gigs!?!

2. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

Yes, you can. Assuming that it was running fine in the older system, it should be fine.
    What Operating System is one the "Master" drive?
    Is there one on the 2nd drive?
    The answers to these may make a difference in how this works.

3. griffinspc

griffinspc

No problem at all and as long as you make the old drive a slave and don't want to boot from it, as Longhair is getting at, you'll have a ton of storage space.

I'd recommend re-formatting it to wipe everything off it and maybe add a partition or 4 and have fun.

It's a different story if you wanted to dual boot them both but I didn't get that from your question.

4. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

ZZZZZzzactly griffinspc, but I didn't want them to boot the thing up with that slave connected yet.
    If the main OS is WinXP and it sees a working version of Win98 or WinME, it will probably try to set-up a dual boot. If that is not desired ( I agree with you, I don't think it is) then that needs to be addressed first. It would be easier to prevent than to cure later :eek:

5. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

The old drive has XP on it. I'm not 100% if it still works but their is no reason it shouldn't. What is the process I should go through to set it up(or test to see if it works)?

6. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

My next question would be, why would I want to run XP on one and ME on another? Oh yea and my newest drive is XP also. I just took out the 512 Mb of ddr sdram that was in my old box and put it in my new one. that's pretty sweet. I now have a Gig of ddr! Adding 160gigs of HD space would be even more exciting to me! But back to the questions at hand...

7. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

The hard drive from your old box will not like being plugged into a motherboard other than the one it was installed with.
    I'm not sure what will happen with 2 WinXP drives plugged in at once.
    You don't need the OS taking up space on your slave drive anyway so....

Personally what I would do is unplug your original "master" drive.
    Plug in your new drive and format it.
    Then plug the master back in and start the computer again.
    The BIOS should see both drives and boot from the master.
    This will leave you with the slave empty and ready for whatever you want to put there.

8. griffinspc

griffinspc

No reason on earth. Win XP is so superior to ME as to make it a no brainer. If I understand, you have 2 drives, both with XP installed.

What longhair was referring to is XP will try and set up a dual boot situation on it's own and he was thinking, as I did too, that being an older machine, it probably had Win98 or WinME on it in which case the XP OS would try.

OK?

I have a dual boot set up on my secondary machine, XP Pro and Win98SE strictly because I like to tinker and it gives me the opportunity to run some older programs (web software) that won't run on my XP or my main machine, W2K. So dual booting can be practical if you need it.

9. griffinspc

griffinspc

We were typing at the same time. As LONGHAIR said, I agree with totally.

10. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I dual boot too, with WinME I might add. I have never had any problems with WinME the were not user related :rolleyes: I use WinME to run my website with. There are several programs that will not run on my WinXP install, so I keep WinME just for them.

I would not encourage this in someone who doesn't see the need. It is far more complicated to rid yourself of this than it is to set-up.

11. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Just set it up so your old drive is your boot drive and your new drive that you want to add is the slave. Might want to check the diagram below to make sure you have it set right.

Make sure you have the master and slave jumpers setup correctly on your hard drives. The jumper schematic is usually displayed on the top of the drive.

DO NOT mix the master and slave settings. For Example, do not mix Master and Cable Select on the same ribbon cable. If one is Master the other must be slave. If one is Cable Select, the other should also be Cable Select. (Please note that the majority of hard drives are factory default as Cable Select)

One needs also to make sure the drive is placed correctly on the ribbon cable as shown below:

M
    O
    T
    H ==Ribbon Cable=== Slave ===Master (end of cable)
    E
    R ..................................„» OR „º
    B
    O == Ribbon Cable==Cable Select==Cable Select (end of cable)
    A ..............................( as Slave)……. ( as Master)
    R
    D

Ribbon Cables and colors of 80 pin cables look and are to be used like this:

Motherboard============Slave==============Master
    …..........Blue………….......…………..Gray……….............……………Black

Oh, also remember that the floppy cable red mark is put on opposite as the regular hard drivers. Otherwise, the red mark faces away from you as you work in the case.

Please let us know if you have other questions.

12. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

Personally what I would do is unplug your original "master" drive.
    Plug in your new drive and format it.
    Then plug the master back in and start the computer again.
    The BIOS should see both drives and boot from the master.

So Longhair, what you're saying is put the older HD where the newer one is and reformat it...and then put the newer one back where it was...and then plug the older one into the slave module...and then everything should just work? If so that's exactly what I was going to do. I just wanted to make sure. However, how do I reformat the older HD? Do I need some floppies or something? If so where do I find them?

13. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

seamus8u,
    Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

Since your "old" drive has WinXP, it is likely formatted in NTFS. If so you cannot use an ordinary Win98 boot floppy.
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

14. seamus8u

seamus8u Thread Starter

So then I would download the WinXP bootdisc? and then unplug the new HD...and then plug in the old HD into the Master module...and then place the bootdisc into the floppy drive...and then turn the comp back on. Then what? Or am I totally wrong?

15. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

It might be even easier to use killdisk. It will wipe out everything on the drive.
    Then you can plug it back in as the slave. You put your Master back in and boot it up. Once it is running you can do the formatting thru Windows. (disc management)
    http://www.killdisk.com/eraser.htm

It fits on one disc, rather than the 6 for the XP boot discs.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/223273

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice