1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I plug my TV into the same surge protector I use for my computer system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ezekial1, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ezekial1

ezekial1 Thread Starter

This may be a stupid question but here goes.

I just bought a new LCD TV and a X-Box and to save some money, I'm wondering if I could plug both into the same surge protector I use for my computer system (CPU, monitor, printer, modem, router, etc.).

As far as I know, the surge protector is of decent quality (~$50 purchased years ago) and has the extra "plugs" available.

2. adam3088

adam3088

Sure you can, as long as it's not overloading the socket it'll be fine.

3. w_tom

w_tom

Any appliance connected to the same wall duplex receptacle or to any other room receptacle on the same circuit is also connected as if plugged into that protector. Appliances connected on either side of that protector are electrically connected same to that protector circuit.

A $7 protector selling in a grocery store is typically the same protector circuit also selling for $50 or $150 in big box stores. Read specification numbers. All are electrically equivalent. Some just 'feel' better quality due to a larger profit margin. Price says nothing about quality. Quality is always defined by numbers in manufacturer specifications.

Same protection circuit is provided by a $7 or $10 protector selling in a supermarket or Wal-Mart. Obvious even by reading those spec numbers.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028890

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice