1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I protect my homepage????

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by hmr516, Dec 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hmr516

hmr516 Thread Starter

Is there a way to lock in my home page with Win ME so that no website can change it against my wishes? Thanks.

2. Deke40

Deke40

You can use this manual registry fix or use the one in Spybot Search & Destroy which does the same thing. I have only had one instance of a Homepage Hijack using this registry fix.

Courtsey of Reghakr

Correct your home page to the one you prefer, then immediately do the following:

Backup the registry and/or export the following keys:
    go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
    HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\
    Right-click on the Internet Explorer key, choose new>Key, name it Control Panel.
    Right-click on the Control Panel, chose new>DWORD value, name it Homepage. Right-click
    on Homepage, choose modify and type in the number 1.

This should lock your home page, so no other web site can change it.

Then navigate here and verify the homepage is correct:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    look for the Start Page entry.

You can also use StartPage Guard which is highly recommend. Be sure and read the "Help" section with it to properly set it.

http://www.webattack.com/get/startpageguard.shtml

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/183937