can I put my old Hd in a new MB

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Access2k

Hi everyone,

I just bought a new case, MB, Memory, Video card. I would like to use my old HD. I do not want to installed all my programs again.. is this possible??

Thanks

Good Morning Access2k, yes, but dependent on the operating system there are special procedures required.
Qldit.

i have never had a problem excpet as earlier stated certian operating systems cannot read ntfs or linux formatted drives but if you are using win xp at least your drive can be seen. also older drives do tend to slow down newer systems. i tend to transfer data to new drive and remove old completely

Your problem will be that if you are using the old drive as the main drive with the new motherboard, all of the motherboard drivers and hardware drivers will be wrong. You would be better off doing a clean install and re-installing the programs. Back up all of your data first and do a clean install of the OS. More work but worth it in the long run to avoid conflicts.
If you want to add it as a second drive then there is no problem as stated in the earlier posts.

Good Luck

dustyjay

Jay
If you want to keep you old programs and files and settings intact, and you have a full install copy of Win xp you can install the hard drive on your system and then at first boot up do a repair installation of WinXP. The procedure is listed below. This will allow XP to replace the hardware requirements of the old system with the ones fromthe new system. After you are done you would probably also want to install the drivers from the disc that came with the new motherboard.

Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.
When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see the options below
This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft
Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

Press Enter to start the Windows Setup. do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console). I repeat, do not choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R".

Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.
Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot. Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears. Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

using the old drive is possible but it will slow down performance of rest of pc when it tries to access the drive. it happens to me all the time with one of my good(old) drives i just use it to store data but i see a huge difference with performance when the computer tries to read from it.

Also remember if the main board you buy is SATA only and your old HDD is IDE you have to buy an adapter for it to even work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online