1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I record audio (on pc) from a videotape?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by starchild, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

I once figured out (with much help) how to make an audio file (mp3) in the computer, from a cassette tape. That I could then burn onto a cd.

What I'd like to do now is play a videotape in the VCR, run a cord from the audio out jack- into the back of the computer (the mic jack) and save it as a file.

When I did this with the cassette player, I used CDex and "record from analog input".

I'm not sure if a VCR is the same? (actually, I don't know what an analog is :)

I would to it by running the cord from the VCR through the tape player, and into the computer (which I think would work) but I don't have a tape player/recorder with a line in jack.

I know I can try this myself and maybe will at some point while waiting for possible answers/suggestions, but I have to find a long wire and plugs to splice on, because the VCR is in one room and the computer in another.

I know- spliced plugs/wires isn't good. I'm not interested in the sound quality (as long as it can be heard in a clear way). I want to make a cd of audio from a 4 hour show on PBS I taped. Probably a data cd to play on the computer, and not audio, which would take a lot of blank cds.

I also want to stop it and start it, in order to cut out the pledge breaks that were also going on during the show. But, if I can get it to work and save with CDex I can do this in the process.

I'm mainly wondering about the settings on CDex, if they can be used for this, need to be changed, or another program required?

Thanks,

Carrie

2. seagull7

seagull7

Go to Radio Shack ,purchase a 2 rca male plug to a stereo male pin..come off the vcr left and right outputs.not video. plug this into your soundcard.You said you did this with cassette--well you should be able to do it the same way.Anglog is form of wave length.If you want download a free progam from hotfiles.com call Total Recorder.It will record in stereo cd quality

3. seagull7

seagull7

[seagull7]Go to Radio Shack ,purchase a 2 rca male plug to a stereo male pin..come off the vcr left and right outputs.not video. plug this into your soundcard.You said you did this with cassette--well you should be able to do it the same way.Anglog is form of wave length.If you want download a free progam from hotfiles.com call Total Recorder.It will record in stereo cd quality

4. starchild

starchild Thread Starter

Okay, thanks!

I already put a cord together myself, and ran it from the AUDIO OUT on the t.v. (the VCR is hooked up to) This involved splicing several wires together, because it's about 40' long.

When I plugged it into the computer the sound from the video tape (via the t.v.) comes out the pc speakers.

I just have to test it with the CDex, but you say it should work.

All problems should be this easy.

~ Carrie

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/219647

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice