1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I recover a corrupted .mov file?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Gayna, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

At a shoot, I was capturing straight from my camera into FCP. I was using the log and capture window. After closing the log and capture window, I began to break down my equipment and unplugged my hard drive instead of my camera. Now, I am not able to open the file I captured. I can see the file on my hard drive, but I can not access the file. Is there a way to recover a corrupted .mov file?

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Is the file the right size? Chances are that part of the file was still cached and was lost because you unplugged the drive without using "Safely Remove". But if you were lucky, the drive was set for quick removal.

Can the file be moved from the drive to another location? Are other files on the drive available?

You may get lucky and be able to recover the file if file system damage is fixed. Try running chkdsk /r on that drive.

3. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

Yes, I can and did move the file to another drive. However, still cannot open it. I did not have the drive set for quick removal.

4. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

how do I run the chkdsk /r on a Mac?

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Really sorry about that. Is there a disk repair utility you can run?

6. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

I'll check.

7. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

I ran the disk repair, no problems were found.

I'm needing to fix that one file. Is there any way to do that?

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

It's really pretty unlikely. The file is probably missing data and the data can't be brought back into existence.

But you might take a look at programs that split or convert .mov files. The converters that are worth anything cost money, but if you could convert it to mpg or similar format, then you can cut the file up and have each part of it usable. If you cut an mpg in half, for example, and then give both halves the mpg file ending, both will play. You might be able to recover the parts of the file that are not damaged.

On the other hand, if the damage is in the headers or file description areas, converting may not be an option.

http://echoone.com/filejuicer/formats/mov-repair

9. Gayna

Gayna Thread Starter

Thank you

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/620400

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice