1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I reinstall the XP on two computers using the same recovery disk?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Duperman, Nov 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Duperman

Duperman Thread Starter

Hey guys, I bought and own d HP Pavilion desktop and a compaq presario laptop.

My desktop got sick with a virus and was very unstable. It became very slow and could not connect to the internet and I had no choice but to reformat it with the CD that came with my laptop. Incidentally the desktop did NOT have its own recovery disks, it was create-your-own, which I never knew about until it became infected, at which point I didn't want to create disks since the computer was infected.

Long story short I installed my my laptop's operating system onto my desktop without problems (although recovering the drivers was a bit of a pain). The only issue was that it wouldn't accept the Windows Genuine Key from my desktop's tower sticker- I had to use the alpha numeric product code from my actual laptop.

Now I was wondering if there would be any problem if I tried reformatting my laptop with the same disk I used to reformat the computer- mostly because the laptop is getting slow (there's no virus on it, I just want the same clean feeling my desktop now has) . Will the same key be accepted?

2. dannyn

dannyn

Ok,
    What you did is not legal.
    For what you are trying to do, IF you had the exact same CD that came with the desktop and the laptop, you would be fine, it seems as if they were differnt.
    What you did is not intentionally wrong, but it is a form of piracy in Microsoft's eyes.

3. Duperman

Duperman Thread Starter

What?? I didn't know it's illegal... You mean to reformat my computer using the xp recovery cd from my laptop? (I didn't download it it came with my laptop). The hp agent that helped me recover my drivers only said doing that might cause bugs, but I didn't know it wasn't legal.

Hope I don't get in trouble though but it's already been done... I'm just worried if it'll cause problems if I now reformat the said laptop using its own disk. As in, will it accept the product number on the laptop sticker that I had already used for my desktop's activation?

I don't understand why it didn't accept my desktop's activation key in the first place...both machines use genuine windows, my desktop just didn't have any cds that came with it.

4. dannyn

dannyn

You see, how would miicrosoft know that it is your cd and that you did not borrow it from a friend? I am not sure EXACTLY on the legal implications, acandy explained it to me once and I can not remember exactly what she said, but I do remember the moral being that you cnnot do that.

5. telecom69

telecom69 Gone but never forgotten

Ive had a similar problem very recently, it rejected the key stuck on the tower as invalid,have no idea why but I found out later that because it was an OEM system they used a key of their own ...the one they used worked out fine ....

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

The recovery CD that came with the laptop is licensed by the manufacturer for that laptop only and using it on any other machine is illegal. So you need to remove it from the desktop and install it to the laptop in order for any activation to proceed.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/765050

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice