1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I reinstall Win XP without erasing everything else on the drive, and will that so

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by helpseeker, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I just got this Dell Optiplex GX260 (used) and am already in trouble. I had everything pretty much set up and operating well, until I tried installed scanning software. Then the computer froze, and I had to pull the plug in order to turn it off. Then it wouldn't boot up properly.

When I power on, I see the Dell welcome screen, then the Win XP logo screen (with the animated loading progress bar). Then the screen goes black, with the cursor arrow in the center. (This is what normally happened on startup.) The problem is that it then stops at that point and goes no further.

The guy I bought the computer from got it with Win XP Pro pre-loaded. Prior to selling it he wiped the drive, and then did what he says was a "clean install" of Windows using the Dell reinstallation CD, the only disk he had.

In view of my current problem, unless someone can guide me how to fix it, I was thinking of re-installing Windows from that CD, but am worried that all the programs and data files I have on the drive (which took me a week to transfer from my old computer!) will be lost. So I have 2 questions: (1) Using the reinstallation disk, can I reinstall Windows without erasing everything else on the drive? and (2) Will that restore "bootability" and startup?

I don't know whether this is relevant, but I have a second HDD on the computer, which I can boot from, and when I do, I see the other drive and all its contents. Maybe there's something I can simply copy from the "good" drive to the one that doesn't boot.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

PS- I read the Guide to Reinstall of Windows thread and am confused, so I thought I'd post this specific problem.

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. helpseeker

helpseeker Thread Starter

I want to avoid a clean install, as I don't want to have to reinstall all the programs, drivers, data, photos, etc. Can't I just reinstall windows and leave everything else intact?

4. bbearren

bbearren

If you will click on the link that Rich-M posted, you will see that it has instructions to walk you through "reinstall windows and leave everything else intact".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice