can i remove in dos

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

casper03

i have a backdoor trojan hidden in the file described below:

Date: 29/11/2001, Time: 22:24:18,
The file \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\WINDOWS\system\winload.exe in compressed file C:\INCINERATE\C1.CAB is infected with the Backdoor.Trojan virus.
Unable to delete this file.

Date: 29/11/2001, Time: 22:24:18,
The file \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\WINDOWS\system\winload.exe in compressed file C:\INCINERATE\C2.CAB is infected with the Backdoor.Trojan virus.

can i delete these files in dos as i cant find them anywhere with windows.

The problem is you have to find the file before you can delete it. You will probably have to do it from a "true" DOS prompt, not a windows one. But for preliminary test purposes, try this.

>> open a Windows DOS prompt (usually running: command will open one)

>> when the command prompt opens up: enter:

cd c:\incinerate

You should now see c:\incinerate\>

>> from there enter:

dir

all files in the directory should be displayed

dir c1.cab

should find that cab file. If it does, try the commands

del c1.cab
del c2.cab

Now the fact that you are really still in Windows and this directory may be protected will likely generate an error message. But if you got that far, then go to Start>Shutdown>Restart in MS-DOS mode and try the same thing. Or you can do that right off the bat if you are confident of your DOS skills.

From true DOS, exit, win or ctrl-alt-del will bring you back to Windows.

casper03

"ROLLIN' ROG HE IS THE BEST
HE PASSED MY PESKY VIRUS TEST "

Thank's you are the best your dos strategy worked a dream
im now show no viruses on my drive.

one last thing is there anything else i need to check for to make sure im completely cleaned.

ex: reg entries or anything else

Great, your welcome. Most likely your registry is fine if you are not getting any "file missing" messages and all your exe and other programs run normally.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online