1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I repair this installation?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jp-engr, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jp-engr

jp-engr Thread Starter

Hello,

I have a 2006-era hp dv6000 laptop. It came with Windows xp pro, with a "restore" partition and an identical

"restore" dvd. It has 2G ram, 256GB hard drive, and a dvd r/w.

I'm normally a linux user, but have to use xp occasionally for a few professional programs that run only under

windows. So I shrunk the Windows partition to 50GB, repartitioned and formatted the hd, and installed opensuse 11.2

linux. Linux works fine. When I had occasion to use Windows, I had some problems, so I tried reinstalling it.

CATASTROPHE! The restore partition promptly and silently (so that's what "restore" meant!) wiped my hd,

repartitioned it, and copied xp into the new 240G ntfs partition. Fortunately, I back up pretty frequently, so I

lost rather little of my information. After reinstalling opensuse and restoring my home directories, I did some

waiting work under linux, and am now in a position to try to fix xp again.

This is what i know so far:

-when I boot into Windows, it says teh ntfs partition is corrupt and I need to run chkdsk to fix it.

-I do, and when Windows comes up, things look ok. But there are several Windows updates pending.

-I let the updates proceed, and they fail saying "the file or directory can't be created". C:\$MFT is corrupt, and

I need to run chkdsk. I reboot, and get the same action: need to run chkdsk, which appears to succeed, but I can't

update. I also can't install my legal copy of Symantec antivirus; "file or directory can't be created".

-After several of these attempts, I find I can run chkdsk from the command line, which results in 5 successful steps

(the bootup chkdsk results in 3 successful steps). No change.

I did a google search trying to find something, but I don't see anything that appears to help. I'd reinstall, but I

can't. I can only "restore", which causes a massive rebuild task, and doesn't seem to help anything.

Any wisdom here?

John

2. Mumbodog

Mumbodog

did you run chkdsk /r ?

3. jp-engr

jp-engr Thread Starter

Yes; when I did the google search, one of the first things I found was chkdsk -f and -r. In fact, chkdsk -r is the one that gave me 5 steps instead of just 3 as did the boot chkdsk.

And, as I said, chkdsk said all steps were successful, but nothing changed.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/915028

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice