1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I replace my C hard drive?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MichaelH1, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MichaelH1

MichaelH1 Thread Starter

Both the C and D partitions of my 80GB hard disk are full (Compaq desktop with Win XP). I'd like to replace the internal drive with a much larger one. But I don't want to reinstall all my apps. Is it possible to replace the current hard drive, make it the bootable drive, then move everything from the old drive to the new one, including the registry? If so, how can I do this?

Thanks!

Mike

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its possible for sure and not too hard either.

Once you have the drive you want to install it will either come with software or you can download free software from the manufacturer of the drive to clone the old hard drive to the new drive. Once cloned just disconnect the old drive and connect the new drive in its place and everything should be as it was but with more space.

You can then add the old drive back in a secondary drive for additional storage.

As a example if you buy a Seagate drive you can use DiscWizard from Seagate to migrate your system over to the new drive: http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...toid=d9fd4a3cdde5c010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD

You can also use third party paid programs with a greater range of options such as Acronis TrueImage or Symantec's Ghost to clone the drive.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

One user in this forum had first-time success cloning al old drive to a new one with the free version of XXClone. But there are many others.

Free Drive Cloners/Imagers:
    SystemRescueCD
    EaseUs Disk Copy (Copies disks or partitions)
    XXClone
    CloneZilla GParted LiveCD (Complete partitioning and drive imaging/restoration tools)
    CloneZilla
    Partition Saving
    PCI CloneMaxx
    Drive Image XML
    HDClone
    DriveClonerXP
    Self-Image
    copyr.dma (Copies disk with bad sectors for recovery)
    Commercial Apps:
    [email protected] Disk Image
    O&O DiskImage
    Acronis True Image Home
    Farstone Drive Clone (Drive image, snapshots, file/folder backups.)
    EAZ-FIX Professional and Easy Image
    Drive Snapshot
    ShadowProtect (Also online backups.)
    Keriver Image
    Avanquest Copy Commander
    Paragon Drive Backup
    NovaBackup
    R-Drive Image
    Norton Ghost
    HDClone Pro or Enterprise
    Terabyte Image for Windows
    Terabyte Image for DOS (can directly access FAT, FAT32, and NTFS partitions)
    Spotmau Disk Clone & Backup

4. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge It's My Birthday!

Since you are replacing your hard disk and you already have partitioning in mind, it might be a good time to think about partitioning as an aid to data storage and backup ease.

This is my personal preference and is in no way the way everyone should partition their systems; but, it works for me: I have three partitions. Drive C, 15 Gigs, contains only operating system files and programs. Drive D, 5 Gigs, contains files that are subject to being added to or modified daily. Drive E, 250 Gigs, contains long-term storage of family pictures, movies, , program installations, etc. that are never modified but are added to only occasionally.

This enables me to develop a backup strategy with a little more ease. I don't have to go in and fish through folders to find the things I want backed up at various times. I know that drive D needs to be backed up more frequently than drive E. And drive C can be imaged only as my programs and configuration changes significantly.

In my case, drive D gets backed up every two hours; but, that is easy for me because I have six computers on my network and it is easy to back up one computer's drive D to other computers on the network. I back up drive E every one- to three months, depending on how much gets added.

Drive C (OS and programs) doesn't change that often so I might image it every 6- to 10 months.

Your situation may be different in that your drive C may need to be much larger; but, the principle is the same.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/719333

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice