1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i replace my CPU fan ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abudahim, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

the fan is very noisy specially when i run graphic rich applications like games or flash files.
    can i replace it with a new one that is more quite and more powerful.

2. bdg146psu

bdg146psu

Do you have a graphics card? If so, are you sure it's the fan on the processor and not the fan on the graphics card that is making all the noise? Or is it a case fan making the noise? Some people refer to the tower as the "CPU", so I just want to make sure we know what fan you're talking about. Once you figure out which fan it is, either post your graphics card model or your processor model and someone can help you find a fan.

3. Addiead0725

Addiead0725

Only in the situation where you need a CPU fan (fan over the heatsink/processor) could you have a replacement option.

You should also note that if you are only buying a cpu fan (without another heatsink), you should see how big your heatsink is. I don't know why you'd just buy the fan, but I figured I'd inform you on that just in case. I wouldn't look to hard for just a fan, just get the normal heatsink/fan set.

Also, buying a heatsink/CPU fan depends on the processor.

If it is, however, indeed the graphics card fan (if you have an installed GPU at all), your best bet is to buy a quieter graphics card.

I'm sure you meant CPU as the processor, so tell us your processor and either I or someone else will provide you heatsink/fan buying advice.

4. abudahim

abudahim Thread Starter

yes i have a graphic card model Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB (Gigabyte).
    but im sure it is the processor fan because it was noisy before i get the graphic card. and i was thinking that if put a powerful graphic card, the noise of the fan may decrease but unfortunately no. i opened tha chasiss also and put the pc infront of my room air conditioner, that also doesn't help too much .
    my motherboard model is D915GAV . and the processor is :IntelĀ® Pentium 4 processor 1 core 2 logical processors.
    guys im sure it is the CPU fan. should i replace the heatsink with fan. if so, do i need a special one ? or anything can fit ?
    IS IT EXPENSIVE ?
    man i cant work with that level of noise.

5. win2kpro

win2kpro

I would strongly suggest that you change the cooler assembly (heatsink and fan) since it is sometimes hard just to find a suitable fan. Also, cooling is not just related solely to the fan, but also to the mass and design of the heatsink.

For a good socket 775 cooler you could expect to spend $30-$60 USD.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/606991

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice