1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I replace the video card on this motherboard?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rhino1616, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rhino1616

rhino1616 Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Soltek SL-75LIV motherboard running Win98 (P3 900) & latelty the graphics have been going on it. So I want to replace the video card on it but its one of those fully intergrated motherboards (No agp slot). This particular mother board has 3 PCI master bus slot, 1 ISA slot, & 3 DIMM slots. Can I place a new graphics card in this type of motherboard or does this mean that the whole stytem is no good & I need to buy a new computer. Unfortunately Im not a techie so any info you can give is apprectiated.

Thank you

2. slawless

slawless

by the speed of the processor, I'm pretty sure there was no AGP when it was made. Based of the limited info you provide I see no reason you could not by an old model PCI card. they are available and cheap. But sure to disable the on board graphics in bios or device manager when you install the new card.

It would be difficult to determine if it is the graphics or something else on the MoBo. Trying a new graphics may be the easiest way to tell. If you have an old card lying around or in another computer or have a friend with one, you could try it. If you are really cheap (like me) you could shop Ebay and pick up a used one for testing. I once bought a remanufactured AGP card for $15 for testing.

Steve L

3. brite750

brite750

4. Arcadion

Arcadion

by the speed of the processor, I'm pretty sure there was no AGP when it was made

They have a P3-900, AGP was released with the 440LX chipset, which came out around the same time as the P2-233.

5. Arcadion

Arcadion

You can install a PCI videocard, they're not very common but you can get a PCI GeForce4 MX or GeForceFX 5200 easily enough.

6. slawless

slawless

yes, you are right, now that I think about it, I have a vintage 1999 notebook that has a 2x AGP rage pro. It is only 380mhz. I wasn't thinking.

Was AGP availabel as early as P2-233? that would have to go back to 1997.

Steve L

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Actually, it was used before the Pentium II; on Socket 7 boards. That would indeed be in 1997.

8. ratchet

ratchet

9. Arcadion

Arcadion

Intel invented the AGP spec and it debuted in the 440LX chipset, which was used for the P2-233 to P2-333 and earlier Celeron CPUs. ALI, VIA etc. included it in their own "super" socket 7 chipsets (e.g. MVP3, Aladdin 5) later on. Socket 7 lived on for quite a while after Intel abandoned it.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/300559

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice