Solved Can I reprogram the function keys on my Lenovo laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

bilnrobn

Bill
Can I reprogram the function keys on the device shown below my signature?

(If this is in the wrong forum please move it to the correct one)

plodr

Liz
I know this is NOT your model but might be worth a read
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-Edge-Knowledge-Base/Fn-Fx-remapping/ta-p/237588

I see if I can find anything for 81WB.

This is for Ideapads and completely disables function keys.
https://www.laptopmill.com/disable-fn-key-in-lenovo-ideapad/

Go here
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht103044#:~:text=Lenovo-branded products:,press F10 and then Enter
put in your serial number and perhaps there is a solution.

Last, perhaps this
https://techydiy.com/how-to-change-function-keys-on-lenovo-laptop/

Last edited:

bilnrobn

Bill
Thanks Liz. I've checked out all the links and the last link seems the most likely. I'm trying to use the "settings option", but I seem to be falling at the first hurdle. I am having trouble getting into the menu. I've tried several options but can't find one that has three dots at the top right. Can you put me on the right track please?

plodr

Liz
Can you put me on the right track please?
Sorry, since I don't own a lenovo and I don't run Windows 10, I have no way to see exactly what you see.

I assume you get stuck at step 3. Note it doesn't say top right.

Here’s how you can change the function keys on windows 10 without having to go through any complex processes.
  1. Open the Menu settings on your Lenovo.
  2. Except for selecting the all apps option, move to the top of the table.
  3. Click on the three dots that appear on the side.

bilnrobn

Bill
I still can't find a way to get to the Menu setting. However changing the function keys is no longer necessary. The reason I wanted to modify them is that, some years ago I wrote a program in GW BASIC language. This I later ran it as an MS BASIC program; it transferred and ran without changes. Now I have had to change to PC BASIC. It still operates fine, but the program relied on modified function keys. What I have now done is edited the program so that function keys are not used. The modification takes more keystrokes than just pressing a function key, but it does get around the problem. So, though I haven't been able to change the function keys, I have found a solution. If we can solve the initial problem I could easily swap back to the original program.

plodr

Liz
I'm glad you came up with a solution/workaround. Sometimes that is the best we can do.

Can you mark the thread solved by clicking the solved button at the top of the thread? I can't do it because I didn't start the thread and I also don't have moderation powers to do it.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online