1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can I run a Seagate and a WD with DDO

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by diskhelp, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. diskhelp

diskhelp Thread Starter

Hello,

I am in the unenviable position of trying to keep Windows 98 SE systems alive. I want to replace my hard drive to keep the old one as a backup. I have some 80GB drives, Seagate and WD, "PATA". I suspect the BIOS does not support 80GB drives, but I am not absolutely certain. Can I have a Seagate drive and a WD drive in one machine with DDO on both? It would be the seagate flavor on the seagate drive and the WD flavor on its drive. Same company -- Ontrack -- makes both flavors. Anyone know the answer to this?

Thanks,
    Old (experienced ) User, Hanging on by my teeth......

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would check to see if there is a BIOS update for that system. It would need to be a VERY old one not to support 80Gb drives.
    Win98se has no problems with larger drives.

but, to answer your question, yes you can use both.

What is the make and model number of the motherboard.

3. diskhelp

diskhelp Thread Starter

Thank you for the response.

I agree. I thought the limit for Windows 98 SE systems was 137GB per partition. I will get you the mobo specs in a couple of hours. I want to install a WD 80GB and a Seagate 80GB, and I suspect that DDO is getting installed as I go through the respective installation programs. One reason I suspect this is that my Seagate DDO banner from the 160GB hard drive I am replacing (but haven't pulled out yet) has now been replaced on power-up by a WD DDO banner. Like you, I figure the BIOS is the culprit.

BTW, OnTrack has also said that I can mix Seagate and WD drives with DDO installed in a single computer.

4. diskhelp

diskhelp Thread Starter

The motherboard in question is a Tyan S1854 Trinity 400 Rev 1.07.
    It has the Award BIOS version 4.51 PG.

5. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

I would be tempted to put a promise (or similar) IO card in that.
    I had a similar problem with my last desktop machine and I still use the I/O card in my new one so I can have disks on separate controllers.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1068446

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice