1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Can I run two hard drives from inside this computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreggIllinois, Dec 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GreggIllinois

GreggIllinois Thread Starter

It's a HP Compaq Pro 6305 SFF Desktop computer. I've been asking about switching from my SATA hard drive to an SSD, and according to you guys, I can have both, the SSD as the main drive and the SATA for storage which would be awesome. I looked inside the computer case and granted it's pretty crowded in there, but I didn't see two power cables coming from the power supply. Is the other cable there somewhere? Here are some of the places I looked, but I couldn't determine for sure if the extra cable was there. Is it?

https://support.hp.com/us-en/produc...orm-factor-pc/5296265/document/c03522674#AbT9

http://media.flixcar.com/delivery/minisite/show/8/en/634995

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/598716/Hp-Compaq-Pro-6305.html?page=134

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    GreggIllinois likes this.
  3. GreggIllinois

Thanks a lot, Allan. That was really helpful, and the 6300's innards do look very similar to mine. I noticed in the video that he uses one of the sockets of the power cable for the optical drive and the second socket for the second hard drive. So the first hard drive has its own power cable?

And so my SSD would go where the first hard drive is, and I would install the old hard drive in that 3.5" bay (if I have one), right?

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes the first HDD must have it's own power cable connected to it.

Assuming the inside of your PC has the same layout as in the video I think you could put the SSD under the Optical drive. That could be easier than disconnecting the original drive. You will have to decide if it is or not when you open the case and see how the original drive is connected.
    Then disconnect the SSD as soon as the cloning has finished and boot up with original drive, that's important.
    Then reconnect the SSD and set it as first boot device in the Bios.

You will need a Sata data cable for the SSD.

5. GreggIllinois

Thanks a lot, Allan. I'm almost positive I have the same layout as the video. The original hard drive is underneath the power supply. And I guess I was fixated on switching out the hard drive for the SSD, but your suggestion of leaving the original hard drive where it is and adding the SSD where the second hard drive bay is located is awesome. Then I will just have to make sure I have the source and destination drives right while cloning, right?

Regarding your:

Then disconnect the SSD as soon as the cloning has finished and boot up with original drive, that's important.
    Then reconnect the SSD and set it as first boot device in the Bios.

Sorry if this seems like overkill but would this be the step by step?

When the cloning is finished:
    1) power off the computer
    2) Disconnect the SSD's power cable (is it okay to leave the SATA cable connected to both the SSD and the motherboard?)
    3) Boot the computer with the original drive
    4) Power off the computer
    5) Reconnect the SSD.
    6) Power the computer on via F2 or F12 or DEL key to get into the BIOS and make sure the SSD is the first boot device (and with that I'll just have to remember that it was the destination drive during the cloning, right?)
    7) Then just complete the boot from the BIOS?
    8) Then reformat the original drive as NTFS, which should wipe it, right?

And just for clarity's sake, your directions seem to be different than crjdriver's. (see italics, which are mine)

How to clone a drive correctly;
    1 Download whatever software the drive mfg uses to make clones
    2 Install the software then shutdown the system
    3 Connect your new drive. Do not attempt to partition or format the drive. Just install it as it comes out of the box
    4 Pw ON and run the software. Select source [old drive] and destination [new drive] complete the clone process
    5 Very important. When finished with the clone, shutdown and pull your old drive. Do not reboot with both drives installed. This will almost always cause problems
    6 Pw ON and make sure everything works ie drive letters correct, etc. If all is well, you can shutdown and reconnect your old drive to format and use as storage or whatever

So you're saying (after the cloning) to disconnect the SSD and boot with the original SATA drive, and crjdriver is saying (after the cloning) to disconnect (actually he says "pull" but I think I can just disconnect it) and then boot from the SSD.

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Yes you can leave the SSD's Sata data cable connected.

I said disconnect the SSD before the first boot after cloning because it looks physically easier than disconnecting the original drive. The main thing is you don't boot after cloning with both drives connected.

Follow crjdiver's advice and disconnect the original drive's sata data cable if you can do so easily.

7. GreggIllinois

Got it. Thanks! (y)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1237320

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice