1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can i run wifi without turn on my pc in tp link 300mbps router

Discussion in 'Networking' started by rishabh pant, Aug 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rishabh pant

rishabh pant Thread Starter

i thinking about to buy a tplink 300mbps router but there is a littile confusion is can i run wifi without turn on my pc in tp link 300mbps router

2. Sponsor

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you explain what specifically you wanted to do

The router will broadcast a wireless signal - enabling any device to pick up and use the router to access the internet, providing the router is connected to an internet service.

Nothing to do with your PC
    The PC is just another device that can connect to the wireless broadcast by the router
    But the PC will need to be switched on to do that
    Other devices can continue to use the router , even with your PC off

4. rishabh pant

i don't have a computer or laptop .. i have a lan cable rj45 internet service so i wan't to ask you can i run a wifi without computer or laptop only conncting lan cable in tplink wifi router will i got a wifizone in my home

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    you may do - 1 restriction would be from the owner of the service
    If this is an apartment with free wifi - they may have a restriction that does not allow a router to be used
    But it should work
    Normally you would need to connect a PC to the router by cable , in the first instance to setup the router to allow it to work on your service
    It is possible to setup using wireless - But maybe messy, as each time you make a change you will need to reconnect to the wireless

It would also be useful to see what info you get through that
    to see if its a modem or a router

What devices do you have that can connect to the router ?
    I maybe able to see if you can make the changes ,

Here are the settings if its a router connection on the
    i have a lan cable rj45 internet service

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

full details here

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. rishabh pant

thanks u very much for the supports

7. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    your welcome, thinking about this further , you will need a device to connect to the LAN cable first , ideally a PC to find out the settings of the LAN cable
    But then when the router is setup and running with wireless - you wont need a PC at all for normal usage.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153928